Discussion Board

S60 issue with signed midlets - "Certificate error. Contact the Application Supplier"

Hi,

We have purchased a Thawte code signing certificate with which we have sucessfully signed a midlet on Series 40 handsets.

The problem we have is with S60, we get the error: "Certificate error. Contact the Application Supplier" after the Jar file downloads.

I believe that the problem is NOT related to how we are signing the Jad, as it works on other series, but some issue with the S60. To further demonstrate the problem I tested the sample HelloWorld application that Nokia themselves have given as an example of a midlet signed by Verisign.

This example is shown at http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...curity_Domains. Quoting from this article:
    "If your application passes Java Verified testing, it will be signed with UTI root certificate, which will place your MIDlet to the trusted 3rd party domain. Other common certificates that place your MIDlet to the trusted 3rd party domain are available from:

Thawte
    Verisign - installation test MIDlet for this certificate" And they give a link to the test midlet: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...example_MIDlet

I have tested this application on 4 Series 60 devices:
    Nokia N95 8GB
    Nokia N73
    Nokia Series 60 3rd Edition Emulator
    Nokia Series 60 5th Edition Emulator

All give the same error: "Certificate error. Contact the Application Supplier"

I've also checked that the appropriate root certificate is on the phone so I don't believe that this is the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Super Contributor

Re: S60 issue with signed midlets - "Certificate error. Contact the Application Suppl

that hello world example's certificate might have expired. See there are following u need to check when u get certificate issue:

1. Certificate is not expired.
    2. phone time and dates are properly set
    3. Some permission are not allowed by phones, so those permission u need to put as optional permission in jad.
    4. does ur phone supports the certificate u are using.
    au revoir
    Prakash Raman

Re: S60 issue with signed midlets - "Certificate error. Contact the Application Suppl

Quote Originally Posted by prakash.raman View Post
    that hello world example's certificate might have expired. See there are following u need to check when u get certificate issue:

1. Certificate is not expired.
    2. phone time and dates are properly set
    3. Some permission are not allowed by phones, so those permission u need to put as optional permission in jad.
    4. does ur phone supports the certificate u are using.
    Our certificate is newly issued, so no problem with expiry. And the phone date is set correctly. No permissions are requested in the jad/manifest as the applications I am signing don't require any special permissions.
    The phone contains the "Thawte Premier Server CA" Root certificate. Our certificate is a 3 chain Thawte code signing certificate, the last chain of which is the same "Thawte Premier Server CA" Root certificate.

You're right about the Hello World example. It has expired. Do you know of any valid examples of an in-date signed midlet that works on Series 60 device?

Does this especially that help?