Discussion Board

Question Capturing video playback in S60 5th edition?

Hi,

several people have commented that it is impossible to capture video playback from Series 60 phones (e.g. http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...a_not_possible ).
    Maybe someone can help me with two related questions that don't seem to have been answered elsewhere:

(1) Has there been an improvement in the 5th edition? The above link (and other posts I came across) all refer to earlier S60 versions.
    (2) Is there a workaround that allows capturing at least a single snapshot from the video rather than the whole thing?

Many thanks
    Sebastian

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Capturing video playback in S60 5th edition?

It is not necessarily a defect, remember the existence of protected content.

Re: Capturing video playback in S60 5th edition?

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    It is not necessarily a defect, remember the existence of protected content.
    Yes, I was thinking about that, too. However, there are a many legitimate use cases (e.g. replicating the phone display on a PC for presentation or remote control purposes), and I have not seen any official statement on DRM restrictions.

My understanding is that the Direct Screen Access method used by video players and certain games is write-only, and that there is no way of directly reading the video memory from the application level. But I am hoping that someone knows a workaround ... .