Regular Contributor

Dowload Java Apps from a pc to a nokia

Hi,
    how can do it ?
    With wich hardware ? wich soft ?

Nokia Developer Expert

RE: Dowload Java Apps from a pc to a nokia

Hi,

You can upload midlets from a PC to a phone in several ways. But it debends on your phone and PC whichs ways are available.

Basically you can upload midlets from a pc to a phone via infrared port, serial cable or Bluetooth. The most of the Nokia phones support infrared and serial cable connection. But for example to 3410 and 3510i you can only download midlets using WAP. So direct upload from a PC to a phone is not possible at all.

You can use Nokia PC Suite or Deployment tool of the Nokia Developer's Suite for J2ME when you transfer midlets from your PC to your phone. Please note, the Deployment tool of the Nokia Developer's Suite doesn't work with Nokia Series 60 phones such as 7650 and 3650.

Best Regards,
    JP / Forum Nokia

Hello!

You can upload midlets to a 3510i via cable too!! You'll need a serial cable (f/m-bus) available for example @ebay for a handfull of bucks. This cable is connected to the serial connector below the battery. Then You will have to buy MobiMB from www.logomanager.co.uk (about 20-22USD). This software allows to upload java midlets to phones like 3410, 3510i and other with ird or rs-232 support.
    This method isn't supported by Nokia. They say midlets for 3510i and 3410 can be only uploaded via wep. This is simply not true! It works fine.

For developing midlets You'll need the MIDP SDK for Your phone and the Nokia DEveloper's Suite for J2ME. I also use Sun ONE Studio 4 Mobile Edition for the IDE. Everything is free and You'll find it at www.foum.nokia.com .

greetings
    darky

Regular Contributor

Dear developer (and others),

Using different kind unsupported cables and softwares are not good choise. Using of those may cause serious damage to the phone (trust me, I have seen several sad cases) and it affects to guarantee. Mobile phones are quite complicated devices nowadays, so hacking the system with some kind of unsupported tunings is not option (that's my opinion). I suppose that you will use standard ways to start deploying content to your phone. Which model you have?

Best Regards,
    Hanttila / Forum Nokia

Hi,

Nokia says:

"But for example to 3410 and 3510i you can only download midlets using WAP. "

Where can I find anything about 3410 downloading via WAP ?
    Nokia 3410 SDK documentation gives no answer.

Regards

tomcat as wap server

Hi

There is another way to download midlets to your 3510i phone. You can install tomcat and use it as webserver and upload your files to the server then to the mobile.

Its still via wap but i think its an easy way to upload the midlets. Develop them on the pc put them on tomcat then just dl them to the phone.

Link to comcat config guide. So it can run wap pages.

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...ary/wi-tip20/?
    dwzone=wireless

How to upload my midlet to 7250 phone?

Hi All,

Anyone knows an easy way to upload my midlet to my 7250(camera phone)? The phone doesnt seem to have an infrared port.

Can I download with a Nokia data cable? What software should I use? Where can I download it?

Thanks in advance

The 7250 has an infra-red port (all new Nokia phone does not have a semi-transparent red window for the Infra-Red port).

You can use the infra-red port with PC Suite 5.1, to install midlet, as well as all standard Nokia software function.

There is a USB cable for Nokia phone (7210, 7250, etc). The model number is: DKU-5.

Cheers,

Hi,

MobiMB doesn't work with 3410. It has even difficulties to recognize it...

You can't use this software for the moment to manage Java applications with this model.

Bye.