Discussion Board

socket.access_points (1.9.4) has weird iapids

Hi *,

I am trying to understand how to best deal with only having one access point selection in my app (which does lots of urllib requests).

While doing that, I tried socket.access_points(). I get a list of 57 entries, with the following iapids:

[1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 16, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0]

(I did not show the ap names, for sake of privacy)

Now, why do some aps have individual numbers, and most have 0 as the iapid?

Cheers,

Joerg

Re: socket.access_points (1.9.4) has weird iapids

(For selecting the access points only once, there is already a solution)

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by jhb View Post
    Hi *,

I am trying to understand how to best deal with only having one access point selection in my app (which does lots of urllib requests).

While doing that, I tried socket.access_points(). I get a list of 57 entries, with the following iapids:

[1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 16, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0]

(I did not show the ap names, for sake of privacy)

Now, why do some aps have individual numbers, and most have 0 as the iapid?

Cheers,

Joerg
    How many access points do you have defined on the phone? The entries with value other than zero are most certainly the ones which you can use to set as default access point.
    import antigravity

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinurao View Post
    How many access points do you have defined on the phone? The entries with value other than zero are most certainly the ones which you can use to set as default access point.
    I actually have 57 access points, and the one (wifi) access point I am sitting next to at the moment has a value of 0. There seems to be no relation between 'within reach' and the value of the iapid.

Having been nomadic means I got around a lot ;-)

Thanks,
    Joerg

Regular Contributor

I actually have 57 access points, and the one (wifi) access point I am sitting next to at the moment has a value of 0. There seems to be no relation between 'within reach' and the value of the iapid.

Having been nomadic means I got around a lot ;-)

Thanks,
    Joerg
    So the ones with a value zero are the OutOfReach/Inactive access points. If I understood you correctly - If you come within range of a wifi access point the value still remains zero? Please do check if restarting the application and calling the API again will display the proper values. If not please log a bug in the tracker with all necessary details. Thanks.
    import antigravity

Super Contributor

socket.access_points() should return a list of access point IDs. There is, or at least in C++, no relationship between access point ID and whether that AP is within reach. AP is just an entry in database.

Weird that you get zero as WLAN AP ID, but it is a little bit special case. Are you able to use it? In general zero is not a valid ID.

Cheers,

--jouni

Hi ashwinurao, JOM,

thanks for looking into the issue, and sorry for not replying earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinurao View Post
    ...If you come within range of a wifi access point the value still remains zero? ...
    Quote Originally Posted by JOM View Post
    ...Weird that you get zero as WLAN AP ID, but it is a little bit special case. Are you able to use it? ...--jouni
    Basically yes, I can use the apo that has iapid 0. I filed a bug with a longer description for this problem.

Cheers,

Joerg