Discussion Board

Qurery regarding DLL signing

Hey
    I have written a dll and I am using it with some UI application.
    I initially developed this DLL using S60_fp2_CW and i am using it with a UI app in the same sdk (ARMI).
    I recompiled it in S60_3rd_MR_2 and am using it with a UI in same skd i.e. MR.

My query is:

• While sending the application for siging do I have to get the DLL signed as well? (I have the protected UIDs fetched from Symbian)

• Shall i change the UID mentioned in the .mmp file of the DLL to a protected uid irrespective of whether I get it signed or not. If i should, then which UID should I change as I have only 2 uids (First one indicating that it is a static dll and the Second one generated by carbide (0xE0000---) ) Or do I have to recreate the DLL in 3rd edition MR (which I wish to avoid presently)

Please clarify these for me.

Regards,

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Qurery regarding DLL signing

You will definitely find relevant threads if you search for dll signing for example.
    In a nutshell: you have to change the 0xE... UID, and although it is not mandatory, you should better have the .dll signed separately from the application.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Qurery regarding DLL signing

The DLL is a binary that has to be delivered to the phone through a SIS and that sis must be signed. Your only option may be whether to certify it or not, but that is an entirely different story.

You can have the DLL it in the same SIS as the main application or, if you plan to have it deployed and used with many other applications (shared library) you should then pack in in a separate SIS and then embed its SIS in the one of the main application.

The UID that you will have to change is the UID3, the one that identified the particular DLL. Obviously changing the UID2 (the DLL type) may render the file useless.

As for "Or do I have to recreate the DLL in 3rd edition MR (which I wish to avoid presently)" ... I have no idea what you mean. In fact I have some idea but you can't really mean that, or do you? You cannot deploy the S60 2nd Edition version of the DLL on a S60 3rd Edition (or later) device, you must re-build it with the corresponding SDK and add the required Platform Security info to it.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite