Discussion Board

Thread: Advice need

Regular Contributor

Advice need

Hi.

Here's what I'm supposed to do:

1) Start an app on phone boot, 2) the autostarted app must launch a MIDlet, 3) the autostarted app must monitor the MIDlet, so, if the MIDlet is closed it must be relaunched.

This is the first phase of the project I'm working on. I have a few questions, and I hope that you may have the answers.

1) What's the best choice on boot: console app or a GUI app with no GUI? (Referring to my purpose)

2) If a GUI app doesn't have a GUI it's still called GUI app? (I think I can do this and my boss wouldn't notice it anyway XD)

3) I've read a little about something called 'client-server app'. Should I read more about it, as it could be better for what I'm trying to do?

This far, I have a GUI app autostarting on boot and it calls the MIDlet working. I also have make a .sis file from a console app, but it doesn't seems to work, nor boot, nor in the phone application manager.

Thanks for reading, I'll appreciate any comments.

Re: Advice need

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ryj View Post
    Hi.

Here's what I'm supposed to do:

1) Start an app on phone boot, 2) the autostarted app must launch a MIDlet, 3) the autostarted app must monitor the MIDlet, so, if the MIDlet is closed it must be relaunched.

This is the first phase of the project I'm working on. I have a few questions, and I hope that you may have the answers.

1) What's the best choice on boot: console app or a GUI app with no GUI? (Referring to my purpose)

2) If a GUI app doesn't have a GUI it's still called GUI app? (I think I can do this and my boss wouldn't notice it anyway XD)

3) I've read a little about something called 'client-server app'. Should I read more about it, as it could be better for what I'm trying to do?

This far, I have a GUI app autostarting on boot and it calls the MIDlet working. I also have make a .sis file from a console app, but it doesn't seems to work, nor boot, nor in the phone application manager.

Thanks for reading, I'll appreciate any comments.
    1) You can have a GUI application for this which can stay in background doing nothing but just checking for the midlet. Else you can go for a server application which has no GUI
    2)NON GUI app is server application
    3) Yes read some good articles available on wiki

Super Contributor

use a non-gui application as application observer that will be simple / lighter solution then server - client

Nokia Developer Champion

The first thing to do is determine how the native program will monitor the java program, in any event there is no need for the native program to be either a server or an app, a plain simple .exe may do.