Discussion Board

Which API should I use for video capture and streaming?

Hello all,

I am working on an application (S60 5th edition, Symbian 9.4 for a Nokia 5800 phone and soon to be on Nokia N97 phone) that will stream video from one phone's camera to another passing through a remote server. After some research it seems I should use the MDF DevVideoRecord API for this in order to capture the video from the secondary camera, encode it with one of the on-board encoders, and then stream it out to a remote server using RTP and SIP. In order to use one of the on-board encoders is the DevVideoRecord API the best to use? From what I have read CCamera API delivers unencoded/uncompressed video frames, however, is there a way to pass it to an encoder after that? Would CCamera be better since it does not require capabilities that require high end signing, or how about the Media Record API, I've looked a little at both but I don't know if I will be able to accomplish what I need using either of these two libraries. What would you all recommend? Thanks.

MFonnesbeck

Re: Which API should I use for video capture and streaming?

if u want how to capture video go thru below link example

http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._0_en.zip.html

Re: Which API should I use for video capture and streaming?

Thanks, I will check that out and see what I can learn from it. But in looking over the description of the example code, are you suggesting that I use the CCamera class for recording and streaming video out from the secondary camera to my remote server? Does CCamera really provide ability to encode video, unlike I have read in possibly outdated articles? Or is it the CVideoRecorderUtility that records video and encodes it? I kind of doubt that CVideoRecorderUtility is the class to do it based on the following (again possibly outdated) article http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...sing_OpenUrlL() that says it's unable to stream video to a URL. So please let me know which one is the one you are pointing me to. Thanks.

MFonnesbeck