Discussion Board

Make Phone To send text only

Hi Guys,

Any idea how to make a phone to send text only and ignore all incoming messages and incoming calls. Is there a specific model of a phone I can use? Or how we do this in programming the phone. I am talking like a gsm modem where you can disable the incoming communications calls and text messaging.

Thanks and I appreciate any help!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Make Phone To send text only

Public SDK does not have direct APIs for this, you could basically monitor phon eline and hang up all calls, the barring settings are handled in non-public parts, thus if you would require the actual API, you should open a Technical support case, in which our internal Experts would evaluate the use case and find out the required APIs, and if a suitable non-public API is found, they will then instruct you for API partnering process.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    Public SDK does not have direct APIs for this, you could basically monitor phon eline and hang up all calls, the barring settings are handled in non-public parts, thus if you would require the actual API, you should open a Technical support case, in which our internal Experts would evaluate the use case and find out the required APIs, and if a suitable non-public API is found, they will then instruct you for API partnering process.
    Hanging up incoming calls would be pretty straight forward by monitoring the incoming call, even call barring is there in the private API's as yucca mentioned. However I am not sure if there is any way to bar an incoming SMS/MMS/Email, yucca please correct me if I am not aware of there being something in the private API for the same?

Cheers,
    Mayank

Call barring is most likely implemented somewhere in etelmm (not 100% sure, thus recommending the technical support, so our experts could verify the API), but I have never seen any barring API for MMS/SMS/Email, also some messages are not going to the messaging folders, thus those would be rather hard to do, I missed the part that incoming messages should also be rejected somehow..

Yes, calls can be blocked using call barring. Email is simple just don't set it up and it won't receive. My main concern are sms/mms. My approach is making the inbox full so that no incoming sms/mms will be received. But doing this will consume the phone entire memory. I think If I could directly access the flag for the trigger of message full it may do it without consuming the phone memory thus making the phone still useful.

How do I trigger this flag? Thanks!

messages that go to the mailbox can be easily monitored and deleted, anyway, but there are messaging ways on which the message is never put into the messaging folders, so those ones would propably be impossible to prevent really..

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    messages that go to the mailbox can be easily monitored and deleted, anyway, but there are messaging ways on which the message is never put into the messaging folders, so those ones would propably be impossible to prevent really..
    Thanks for the replies!!! Really appreciated!!
    Care to guide me how do I filter incoming text messages be sent to a specific folder?