Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

SQLite for Symbian OS version <9.4

Hello,

is there any installation package with SQLite we can distribute or source I can compile for Symbian versions lower then v9.4? In a wiki article there is a paragraph stating that SQLite is introduced with versions 9.4 (in fact SDK doc v9.3 mentions sql usage).

Are there any statistics showing how many devices run with a specific Symbian version? I have decoupled engines and gui assuming that gui is the most sensitive place for changes in Symbian. But the SQLite functionality adds another constrain on the number of devices we would like to target. Can it be solved by a conditional installation process and by specific implementation, one for SQLite and another using DBMS? I assumed it would be good solution to store app data in a database. But I may stick with Symbian 9.3+ or with just inter/externalized datas and stored in a file.
    Last edited by elviin; 2009-05-13 at 17:50.

Super Contributor

Re: SQLite for Symbian OS version <9.4

GUI is indeed the most sensitive part of the entire application in terms of porting effort. You can do a conditional thing within the code, by querying the OS Version though.

Unfortunately I havent used SQL lite so I cant comment on that specific bit though.

Cheers,
    Mayank

Nokia Developer Moderator

Sorry for reopening an old thread but this might indeed be useful to those still looking for a solution: https://developer.symbian.com/wiki/d...OS%2Bv9.2%2529
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Btw is it possible to use encrypted DBMS? Here is a documentation saying that it should be possible but my understanding is that the encryption support is no longer supported together with DBMS. Furthermore there is a performance impact when using the encrypted DBMS. What is an alternative? I'm talking about SDK 3rd FP1+, that is v9.2+.

Nokia Developer Moderator

The API is apparently not present. It was #ifdef-d in the S60 3rd MR SDK, and it is completely missing in FP1.
    Theoretically you may succeed in creating an RDbStoreDatabase in a CEmbeddedStore. If it works, you can create a custom stream implementation, which can store its contents encrypted.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    The API is apparently not present. It was #ifdef-d in the S60 3rd MR SDK, and it is completely missing in FP1.
    Theoretically you may succeed in creating an RDbStoreDatabase in a CEmbeddedStore. If it works, you can create a custom stream implementation, which can store its contents encrypted.
    Thanks for the reply.