Discussion Board

Running midlet in background on series 40

Is it possible to start a midlet and have it running in the background while returning to the "general interface" of the handset -- specifically on a series 40 ?

What I want to create is a true background task.

Best regards

Peter

Regular Contributor

RE: Running midlet in background on series 40

Hello Peter,

Creating a background MIDlet might not be a problem, although I guess the MIDlet will be paused if it's pushed into background. Returning back to the MIDlet will be. Series 60 phones (Nokia 3650, Nokia 7650, Nokia N-Gage, Siemens SX1) have a multitasking operating system (Symbian) and a key to access running programs. Nokia Series 40 phones don't have such a key or a multitasking OS.

Regards,

Petteri / Forum Nokia

Hi ppl,

Does that mean for series 40 phones, you can put the MIDlet to the background (and will not keep executing/idle since the OS is non-multitasking) but we cant get it back to the foreground?

Doesnt sound too good. No way around this?

Kien

Super Contributor
    Don't worry, there is no way to put a MIDlet into the background on a Series 40 - it may go into the background briefly if you receive a call, but the phone returns to it automatically.

Graham.

Sigh, not too good then. Well its almost identical to the problem for the sony ericsson phones that shut down midlets after 5 seconds if u close the clamp. ......interesting

Kien

Re: Running midlet in background on series 40

Hi,
    This is my first post on this board.
    I was astonished to find out, that series 40 is this old as this thread!

I had a very good Nokia phone (6260 using S60). After 2 happy years of owning it I thought, that maybe a new phone with better camera would be nice. I bought a new one, which filled my criteria: big screen, bluetooth, a lots of memory, good camera, 3G ... only to find out, that I didn't have multitasking anymore

Ok, It's my own fault that I didn't check that, but honestly it didn't cross my mind, that this much newer phone could be using that kind of old crappy OS :/

So my question is: Is there any additional programs for series 40 which would make it multitasking? Or is it possible to replace series 40 with S60?

Thank you in advance!

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Running midlet in background on series 40

You cannot change the operating system of your Series 40 phone.

Hartti