Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question Game loading bar

Hi all,

I want to ask that the game loading/progress bar which normally appears in most of java games. Is it when the loading bar appears, game really doing some work at back ground or is it only a 'Gimmick'.

As I have found out that those games who got loading bars before game starts, there game play is faster on phone compared to those games who don't have loading bar.

if loading bar is doing some work at back end , what work it is?

Thanks

Super Contributor

Re: Game loading bar

Hi,
    This depends upon the programmers.If He wants to load the data and want to display the loading bar,since loading the images/resources will take the time.If he want do not want to load the images/resources,then just he will draw the loading bar...

It is a good practice that if the game/application resources loading is taking the much time,then loading bar must be display.
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

Regular Contributor

Thanks Raj!

So I can load images/resrouce files while showing the loading bar?
    incase if I dont show the loading bar and load the images, will it effect the game performance.

I tell you my situation , I have one game which I install on Samsung D900, it runs slow compared to other phones, but the games preinstalled on D900 they run much better. So the presintalled D900 games got loading bar where as mine game doesnt have, but still my game have the method which load the images, so introducing loading bar, will it make difference?

Thanks

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kai_buki View Post
    Thanks Raj!

1.So I can load images/resrouce files while showing the loading bar?
    2.incase if I dont show the loading bar and load the images, will it effect the game performance.

3.I have one game which I install on Samsung D900, it runs slow compared to other phones, but the games preinstalled on D900 they run much better. So the presintalled D900 games got loading bar where as mine game doesnt have, but still my game have the method which load the images, so introducing loading bar, will it make difference?

Thanks
    1.Yeah You can do that,indeed.

2.No,not all,why it should affect?
    Just your game and hence the device will stuck for a while,till the time your loading will not complete.
    3.It is not true,that games,those have the loading bar,will run faster and rest will run slower.

The Major critical point is that->
    if you can load the images/resources before you start play the game.You keep on loading the images and all and keep on drawing the loading bar.And this can lead you a bit higher frame rate of game,since you already had all the required stuff.
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Super Contributor

The reason for loading bars is that your game should never appear to freeze for more than a few seconds.

It's worth reading the Unified Testing Criteria for mobile Java games and applications, which you can find towards the bottom of this page. These are the standards to which many organizations (including Orange and Vodafone) test Java apps and games, before accepting them for sale. Of particular relevance to this subject, are test cases AL2 (Application start up) and FN12 (Application Response).

For best game performance, you must avoid loading anything during game play. Any images, sounds or data files should be loaded ahead of time. This is likely to cause a long delay when starting a game, or moving from level to level, so you'll need some kind of "loading" bar or animation.

Graham.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by raj_J2ME View Post
    1.Yeah You can do that,indeed.

2.No,not all,why it should affect?
    Just your game and hence the device will stuck for a while,till the time your loading will not complete.
    3.It is not true,that games,those have the loading bar,will run faster and rest will run slower.

The Major critical point is that->
    if you can load the images/resources before you start play the game.You keep on loading the images and all and keep on drawing the loading bar.And this can lead you a bit higher frame rate of game,since you already had all the required stuff.
    So what I analyze from your words that I better load all the images/resource files before the game play starts. So can I do like this when user is in main menu even before selecting NEW GAME, I load all the images, and its upto me I show loading bar or not.(Correct me if I am wrong)

Secondly you mentioned about frame rate, are there chances that frame rate of different devices are different and because of which games have different game play speed when run on different phones?

Thanks

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kai_buki View Post
    1.So what I analyze from your words that I better load all the images/resource files before the game play starts. So can I do like this when user is in main menu even before selecting NEW GAME, I load all the images, and its upto me I show loading bar or not.(Correct me if I am wrong)

2.Secondly you mentioned about frame rate, are there chances that frame rate of different devices are different and because of which games have different game play speed when run on different phones?

Thanks
    Hi,

1.I just explains the approach,of a individual programmer,
    Yeah that totally depends upon the programmer and the requirement too.

2.thats correct.
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Regular Contributor

Smile Re: Game loading bar

Hi all,

its not a big deal showing loading bar, some time it have no connection with resources loading or unloading, but depends.

Thanks and Regards,
    Manjul.

Super Contributor

Hi,
    The use of a loading bar is to load the images and the classes prior to start the game.
    Thanks
    Soku

Super Contributor

So what I analyze from your words that I better load all the images/resource files before the game play starts. So can I do like this when user is in main menu even before selecting NEW GAME, I load all the images, and its upto me I show loading bar or not.(Correct me if I am wrong)
    I would rather recommend that you load the images and other resources wise.Please avoid loading the entire available resources at the just time if starting the game.
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l