Discussion Board

Unhappy The emulator does not start

Hello,

I installed Carbide C++ 2.0, Pearl, S60v3FP2 SDK and S60v5 SDK in this sequence on an WindowsXP Professional (< SP2) VirtualMachine. So far there is no problem!
    Then I started Carbide and created a new Project using S60v5 SDK.
    But when I try to start my app the Emulator does not start! No Error Message or something like that!
    Did I miss up any configuration? I would be very thankful if somebody could help me because I just want to start developping!!!

Best regards!!!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: The emulator does not start

Quote Originally Posted by manuche View Post
    Hello,

I installed Carbide C++ 2.0, Pearl, S60v3FP2 SDK and S60v5 SDK in this sequence on an WindowsXP Professional (< SP2) VirtualMachine. So far there is no problem!
    Then I started Carbide and created a new Project using S60v5 SDK.
    But when I try to start my app the Emulator does not start! No Error Message or something like that!
    Did I miss up any configuration? I would be very thankful if somebody could help me because I just want to start developping!!!

Best regards!!!
    Did you try to start emulator in command prompt?

I hope you have compiled it properly. Have set the build configuration properly.

Please provide more info like you are trying to debug it or just run it.

Quote Originally Posted by kamalakshan View Post
    I hope you have compiled it properly. Have set the build configuration properly.

Starting the emulator has no connection with the compilation/build process atleast for the moment in the thread owners case

Quote Originally Posted by Symbian_Neil View Post
    Did you try to start emulator in command prompt?
    I just tried to start it without Carbide but not using the command prompt. Is there any difference?

I jsut tried to run it. In the tutorial I read was nothing written about build configuration to set, so Carbide's configuration is like out-of-the-box

Well sometimes some have had this kind of problems (Must admit that I dont know the reason!), but mainly when they are yet to explore the environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Symbian_Neil View Post
    Starting the emulator has no connection with the compilation/build process atleast for the moment in the thread owners case
    Hi,

The thread owner stated that

"But when I try to start my app the Emulator does not start! No Error Message or something like that!"

So if the build configuration is set to PhoneRelase and then try to run the APP from carbide in that case Application TRK would be shown in newer ones and older ones will just simply show nothing. I just thought it might be the case since user owner has installed carbide 2.0 and not the latest one.

It is the 3rd installation on a different computer and it does not run on any system... exhausting...
    I will post all program's versions, the steps I did and the settings of Carbide later this day! I hope we can fix this problem!
    I am very interested in developping apps for S60v5...

Best regards!

*edit: build configuration is set to "Emulator Debug (WINSCW)[S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v1.0]"

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by manuche
    I just tried to start it without Carbide but not using the command prompt. Is there any difference?

Launching emulator does not require use of Carbide anyway. Just launch it from command prompt, as said by Symbian_Neil Or launch it from Start->All Programs->S60 Developer Tools->3rd Edition FP2 SDK->v1.1->Emulator.

Quote Originally Posted by manuche View Post

I jsut tried to run it. In the tutorial I read was nothing written about build configuration to set, so Carbide's configuration is like out-of-the-box
    If you can run the emulator from outside carbide say from cmd prompt or Program Files Emulator Link, then just check from the carbide - right click on your project and then select Build Configuration and check which is the active one.

The problem could be something else also - just checking if this helps you out.

If you can run the emulator from outside carbide say from cmd prompt or Program Files Emulator Link, then just check from the carbide - right click on your project and then select Build Configuration and check which is the active one.

The problem could be something else also - just checking if this helps you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by savaj View Post
    Launching emulator does not require use of Carbide anyway. Just launch it from command prompt, as said by Symbian_Neil Or launch it from Start->All Programs->S60 Developer Tools->3rd Edition FP2 SDK->v1.1->Emulator.
    Same Problem... The Emulator does not start! Perhaps I overlooked a step during installation. I do not have XP SP2 installed. Is it required for Carbide, Pearl or the SDKs?

Since you have two SDKs, you could check if the other emulator starts. Change the default SDK and invoke epoc command again and see if that one works. If it doesnt, then in all probability, something is wrong with environment.