Discussion Board

Nokia Developer Champion

how to do localization in j2me

i need to do localization in j2me in arabic language. Can some one tell me how can i do it ? any links or any material which i can read.

Super Contributor

Re: how to do localization in j2me

There are two ways:
    1. If handset understand the unicode values for arabic then u can use directly unicode for string you need to show. you need to have a constants file wher you define all messages u want to show.
    2. use of images to show arabic language.
    au revoir
    Prakash Raman

Nokia Developer Moderator

Nokia Developer Champion

maybe something like this :

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...nguage_support

or otherwise go through these articles, maybe there's something in there for you :

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ation_Articles

Super Contributor

For Arabic, your biggest problem is support from the device.

If you have an Arabic device, and you are using high-level UI, you don't have too many problems. Especially, I think Series 40 devices support Arabic better than Series 60. This certainly used to be the case.

Beware that Series 40s (if I remember right) swap the softkey orientation in Arabic "mode". So, Command.OK types usually appear on the left, but on Arabic devices they might appear on the left. Also, watch out for scroll bars switching sides in the high-level UI.

On Canvases... you rely on drawString() knowing how to draw the characters right-to-left, and how to render them correctly.

In Latin or Cyrillic scripts, a given unicode value (in a given font) always looks exactly the same. In Arabic, this is more complicated. Because characters in a word must join, each letter can have up to four different forms:

1. initial (the first letter in the word)
    2. final (the last letter in the word)
    3. medial (in the middle of a word, so joined to other letters on both sides)
    4. isolated (the only letter in the word)

All forms have the same unicode value, so for one unicode value, there can be up to four different glyphs (images). I say "up to", because not all letters have all four forms.

If you are using a Canvas, and drawString() on your target device cannot correctly render Arabic script, you have a significant job ahead of you implementing a custom font engine.

If you already use a custom font engine (as is common in many games), you still still have a lot of work to upgrade it to handle Arabic.

(I'm telling you this in the assumption that you don't speak Arabic!!)

On devices that show a connection icon (such as a "G" in top corner during an HttpConnection), this might switch sides. For example, if it appears in the top-left on a European device, it might be top-right on an Arabic device. You won't care, unless you're using FullScreenMode, in which case keep in mind that a different part of the screen might be obscured during connection. This is device-dependent.

Hmmm... I haven't really told you how to solve any of these problems, but I hope you at least have some idea of the problems you might encounter!

Good luck!
    Graham.

Nokia Developer Champion

Thanks all your quick reply. I am using form and other high leval UI controls which has command so can i put its Caption in arabic ?

Super Contributor

Does "other high level UI controls" means some third party UI framework? if it is mention that so that we can guide u wat u can do on that.
    au revoir
    Prakash Raman

Nokia Developer Champion

unicode to ucs2

Quote Originally Posted by prakash.raman View Post
    Does "other high level UI controls" means some third party UI framework? if it is mention that so that we can guide u wat u can do on that.
    I am not using third party control. I need to take input in other language especially in arabic and pas it into http connection so i need to convert it unicode to ucs2. Can some one tell me how can i do it ?