Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Contributor

Thumbs down OVI store will not support Python applications. What do you think about ?

As you probably already know, OVI store will support only Java, C++ and Flash. I can not understand *why* Python was not considered as an eligible language for OVI Store. Consulting Bill Perry and talking to Gerry Moth, I saw the following answer:

@gerrymoth For now we're not supporting python apps, would like to hear from dev community what they want

So, people say what you want, express your feelings. I really want Python in OVI store. Python is agile, easy to use and powerful, perfect to create applications in short time. Can you imagine how many Pyhton application may be released in just few months ? In the last six months I wrote at least eight applications. Jouni, Croozeus and other nice guys has similar numbers, as we could follow here. So, why not Python ?

Marcelo Barros

References:

My first question to Bill Perry:
    @bperry Hi, fine ? Just one question (may I?): will Python be added to Nokia App Store ? Or we will be forever second class programmers ?

Thanks Gerry Moth for supporting our cause.

Super Contributor

Re: OVI store will not support Python applications. What do you think about ?

One reason could be that the S60 Python runtime is not preinstalled on any S60 phone model as it comes from the factory?

Regular Contributor

What if the python script is converted to sis using PyS60 application packager and then Symbian signed? Did they say they do no accept that?
    import antigravity

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    One reason could be that the S60 Python runtime is not preinstalled on any S60 phone model as it comes from the factory?
    Other reason might be that Python is interpreted language and it is easy to download new executable (possibly harmful?) code from the Internet after installing the application?
    --
    Aapo Rista
    http://code.google.com/p/pys60gps/
    http://opennetmap.org/

Super Contributor

That's also possible with a WRT (web run-time) widget (but a widget has much less system access than a Python app).

Regular Contributor

oh y they dont accepting some need hacking so its not the gud to accept them is it the cause or someother else ??

Hi

I would really like support for python apps in the appstore but as pointed out there are some issues.
    However PyS60 is a really great opportunity for developing apps because its easy to learn and even the very beginners can start with it. I wouldn't be developing for S60 if there wasnt python.

There is a growing number of PyS60 developers and the ovi store would obviously make distribution easier and also lower the threshold of publishing an app.

Many would probably distribute their apps for free and open source though. I probably would anyway.

-Rich
    Nokia E66
    PyS60 1.4.4 final

Super Contributor

We'll be looking into this matter. It is definitely our goal to have Python as a supported language for Ovi Store.

Super Contributor

D*mn.

Java is a runtime, too, but they have Java Verified. Without that java apps are not accepted into Ovi Store. Same thing with Symbian C++ and Symbian Signed, naturally. Unsigned or Open Signed Online apps not accepted.

Flash Lite has no own verification or certification process, as far as I know. WRT is definitely a runtime. Both seem to be accepted into Symbian Signed process, some even pass I believe. Qt is a runtime, no idea how Ovi Store would deal with those, Qt platform not ready enough yet. No idea, why PyS60 app would not pass Symbian Signed, guess nobody has ever tried?

Main difference really is that Java, Flash Lite and WRT runtimes come with the device. Btw all of those have Platform Services API, same as python. Pretty powerful API. Another difference seems to be that Flash Lite is very strongly promoted by Adobe and Nokia (Open Street Project) and WRT is extremely strongly promoted by Nokia and several operators (e.g. Vodafone Betavine competition).

Python is a very powerful, easy to learn and easy to use language (MIT switched to python). It's not as graphical as Flash Lite (and misses Adobe's money) and it's not as "portable" as WRT (and misses operators money). Flash Lite is for graphical designers, but does require serious ActionScript coding, WRT is for website authors, but does require serious JavaScript coding, python is ... just for coders.

Really shame, if PyS60 apps would not be accepted into Ovi Store.

Sigh,

--jouni

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by RICH? View Post
    There is a growing number of PyS60 developers and the ovi store would obviously make distribution easier and also lower the threshold of publishing an app.
    I would expect strict reqs before any app, no matter what's the programming language, is accepted into Ovi Store. Quantity is good, but there has to be high enough quality standards. Anyway, it would be worth the trouble for visibility, discovery, distribution and invoicing benefits. I guess you meant to say "lower the threshold of publishing an" [ real | quality | commercial ] "app"?

Quote Originally Posted by RICH? View Post
    Many would probably distribute their apps for free and open source though. I probably would anyway.
    I would try to release several freeware apps, followed by several commercial apps. Why wouldn't I? What seems to work in AppStore is free Lite versions promoting commercial Pro versions. Would try the same

Cheers,

--jouni with too big bank loan

Quote Originally Posted by JOM View Post
    I would expect strict reqs before any app, no matter what's the programming language, is accepted into Ovi Store. Quantity is good, but there has to be high enough quality standards. Anyway, it would be worth the trouble for visibility, discovery, distribution and invoicing benefits. I guess you meant to say "lower the threshold of publishing an" [ real | quality | commercial ] "app"?
    Yes, I also thought that end users will be really frustrated if even every low grade apps get in to the store.

The publisher needs to take the responsibility of delivering a fit product.
    I should have been more clear. I meant that I might not be so botherd to publish my app if I don't have a propper channel through wich I can reach a lot of potetial users. Announcing an app at a developer discussion board wont reach many casual end users.

Quality is definately high priority

-Rich
    Nokia E66
    PyS60 1.4.4 final

Nokia Developer Moderator

Well, I heard some romours earlier, but may be the strategy changed.
    Eric John: Any content that can be Symbian Signed or Java Verified will need to be. So we will be supporting any content that can be packaged in one of these formats, so we can easily include Python applications, for example, in addition to Symbian C++ and Java applications.
    Python apps - should be symbian signed - and then allowed to be added. But probably there is a hinch in Symbian signing with Python apps? I read somewhere...(no I don't remember where)

This takes me to another questions - Are there plans for integrating Python runtime into the Symbian platform after the 2.0 release? If not, when would it be planned?

Cheers,
    --Croozeus, who has a big bank loan too
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

This is a catastrophic decision in my eyes. I work in the Linux sphere, and a big chunk of the applications are written in Python. I am contemplating porting some apps across to S60 and was hoping to have them available via the OviStore.

I do hope it is just a temporary thing, and Python will be allowed soon.

Regular Contributor

This is a perfect example of why Nokia can't get a foothold in the US. They have been trying for so long and failed so many times...

What is the difference between an iPhone and an s60 phone? Why did apple succeed as a new comer so quickly? In my opinion it's the app store with it's multitude of shitty OMG, LOL type of $2.00 applications.

It's cheap to develop for and cheap to publish. THATS WHAT MAKES A PLATFORM A SUCCESS!

Not having python in OVI store sucks almost as bad as having to develop apps in Symbian C++...

Oh and btw, I saw a post on the java forum about "java verified" in OVI store. At least they get to list their apps in the store.

And for a while there I thought apple app store approval policy was bad...END RANT!

Raf

I definitely want Python applications in Ovi Store. I'm sure the issues can be resolved.