Discussion Board

When is the launch date?

Nokia support, would you please communicate to people on OVI plans?

First it was week of May 4.
    Now - silence.

Simple "Opening of the OVI store is delayed for aprox. ... weeks due to reasons x, y, z"
    would be a great comfort for developers.

Also would you please address security issues with DRM.
    I posted previously about how easy it is to overcome DRM protection and it's a matter of weeks before our content would appear in internet "for free".

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Re: When is the launch date?

Yes I am communicating with them.

I know the Ovi Store is still in Alpha version but will try to get a date.

I will bring up the DRM issues.

As you can imagine they are swamped and limited so I thank you in advance for your patience.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by DmitryZayats View Post
    Nokia support, would you please communicate to people on OVI plans?

First it was week of May 4.
    Now - silence.

Simple "Opening of the OVI store is delayed for aprox. ... weeks due to reasons x, y, z"
    would be a great comfort for developers.

Also would you please address security issues with DRM.
    I posted previously about how easy it is to overcome DRM protection and it's a matter of weeks before our content would appear in internet "for free".

Who can imagine that they are already "swamped and limited", when they have not yet received one single order to process ?

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kylom View Post
    Who can imagine that they are already "swamped and limited", when they have not yet received one single order to process ?
    The QA and Site setup team are "swamped" with applications requests.
    When sales start each country has a Nokia Care team to sort out sales issues. In this case setup team has to deal with over 200 countries requests.

The other thing is although registered publisher developers were promised a date early in May, no one else was given this date. The general message has been sometime in May 2009 and this could still happen. Whilst this may annoy a few people.

This gives the others time to check that their applications are ready. Recently there has been requests by potential customers for the size of files to be downloaded, the type of file and a description and of course descriptions in languages other than English. This can be done so simply with Google language translator tools.

This will mean that applications receive good feedback
    In the months after startup/opening the amount of applications will be smaller. There is a 3 month back log to test and setup.

Amazingly no one has replied to my threads pricing position and how applications will be described.

People in the last month seem more interested in creating new threads on based on creating uncertainty and doubt and little of techincal merit, which are of no use to developers

Oh these are my opinions and *NOT* those of Nokia just in case some one is uncertain.
    Jim
    Last edited by jimgilmour1; 2009-05-16 at 15:06. Reason: comment on opening date

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by jimgilmour1 View Post
    People in the last month seem more interested in creating new threads on based on creating uncertainty and doubt and little of techincal merit, which are of no use to developers
    With respect, Jim, a lot of people in the last month are just keen to find out what's going on, because the flow of information from Nokia is dead.

I have not even started applying, because Nokia still don't know what the testing requirements for Java applications are. I'm not going to go through the whole process of setting up a company, buying a code-signing certificate, etc., in the hope that my submissions will pass some undocumented testing process.

Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamhughes View Post
    I have not even started applying, because Nokia still don't know what the testing requirements for Java applications are. I'm not going to go through the whole process of setting up a company, buying a code-signing certificate, etc., in the hope that my submissions will pass some undocumented testing process.

Graham.
    Agreed entirely.
    We actually did submit an application ages ago, got rejected for reasons that are still unclear to me. Then we went through the expensive and difficult JavaVerified process and resubmitted about a month ago... Then nothing.
    Not a word from Nokia.

We tried contracting the support several times, we get the automated 5 business days response again and again. No contact is ever made other than once to inform us that DRM won't work properly and that we must respond within 2 days (I responded immediately, hoping this was a sign of progress).

I understand that Nokia is probably swamped with tests and complexities and I respect the complexity of this endeavor however I feel that if they want to support the developer community they need to be more communicative in terms of:

1. Timeline.
    2. Certification process - I'm still not sure we needed the JavaVerified certificate!
    3. Point of contact for problems.

I normally try not to complain in the forums but since there is no other way to communicate these concerns this is pretty much the only way I can see to raise the issues we are experiencing.

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

One of the things that I don't like about Nokia is that they are very secretive on launch dates and will not let us comment until there is a public announcement. I was told the launch date would be "soon" but no explaination of what that means.

I beg for your patience and understanding. The team is working hard to get this ready, they realize that they have not met the expectated release times and are working hard to get this ready to open the doors.

Thanks for listening, I am not feeding questions in as I had hoped, I too find it overwhelming as there are just so many questions to filter for just the right ones.

Ron

Nokia Developer Expert

Ovi Store is scheduled to launch in May. That's all we can say at this time but appreciate the growing interest in the dev community.
    [B]Bill Perry[/B]
    Sr. Services Marketing Manager, Forum Nokia
    Publishing to Ovi Store: [url]http://publish.ovi.com/[/url]
    twitter: [url]www.twitter.com/bperry[/url]
    blog: [url]www.mobileperry.com[/url]