Discussion Board

The PyS60 Emulator thing

Hello Forum.Nokia community,
    Let this be my first post. I'm an experienced programmer and I wish to start making some quick apps using python. I've already made some nice programs for mobile using this platform but since I'm not familar with python's idea, I can't find myself in running it on my Windows.
    I've already installed python and some extension for it (the x86 version) and I downloaded the Python's SDK.

So my problem is:
    How should I install the SDK (where to unpack the files) and how can I run my app made for mobile. Many tutorial says you have to copy your file to appropiate directory and simple run. But how to run the app? How to manage the shell. I don't want to get big tutorials on how to use python. I just want to know how to install the SDK, copy my file to directory and run it. Does the SDK shows completely the same thing as I can see on my mobile? How the keys are handled there?

I've searched the forums for an answer to my idea but the search results are quite chaotic.

Super Contributor

Re: The PyS60 Emulator thing

Hi and welcome to the forum.

So I take it you've already installed the emulator (the S60 SDK) you want. If so, all you have to do is take the corresponding PyS60 SDK zip file and extract it in your emulator's directory (where you will find folders like epoc32 and others). Now start the emulator and you will see the Python icon in its menu, just like on the phone.

In order to test apps, simply put your Python scripts in the Python directory of the emulator (usually something like \epoc32\winscw\c\Python) and run the shell on the emulator.

Quote Originally Posted by Galfar0th View Post
    Does the SDK shows completely the same thing as I can see on my mobile?
    Yes. The script shell is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Galfar0th View Post
    How the keys are handled there?
    Well, like normal buttons. Perhaps you should explain this question in a bit more detail.

Re: The PyS60 Emulator thing

Dear Bogdan, thank you very much for a warm welcome,
    Currently I see the epoc32/winscw/c/python directory and it contains the same scripts as the example scripts on my mobile. What should I do now? Run the Python's shell? How to run the emulator's shell?

About the keys.
    How are the keys like Left SoftKey or Right SoftKey handled there?
    Is the size of the emulator's window also 240x320?

OH So the emulator works with the Symbian's emulator! I thought you can unpack it to python's directory and run it somehow on windows. So I need to download the S60-FP2 SDK and then unpack the SDK there and I will be able to use the mobile just like the real one...
    Last edited by Galfar0th; 2009-05-17 at 18:45.