Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Contributor

backlight on the 7650

I know the backlight and vibration function of DeviceControl in Nokia's UI API are not functional on the 7650.
    But I have seen Java games that keep the backlight on all the time. Does anybody know the workaround to get the backlight to work with J2ME?

RE: backlight on the 7650

You can activate the backlight in a time interval...
    A lot of useful things for a mobile developer on http://www.igormaznitsa.com

Can you be a bit more specific!
    In C++ the function is called User::ResetInactivityTime(),
    but there is nothing similar in Java. So, what should be
    called in a time interval?

Super Contributor
    From all I could gather it's impossible to turn on the light with J2ME on the 7650....
    So there is nothing to call in a time interval

Ohh, it's possible. There are a few games out there, of course done with J2ME, where the backlight stays on forever. I guess it works like simulating a key press, or something like that in a time interval. Must be done every 14 seconds, cause backlight switches of after 15 seconds. I can't explain it to myself in any other way.

If anybody knows more than I do, let us all know...

Thanx for any help...

Super Contributor
    I figured a simulated key press would work, but I haven't seen anyway to simulate a key press in J2ME or in the Nokia UI packages.
    Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, of course you're right. There is no way to simulate a key press. I've been checking quite a few boards now to find out how it works, but my time is running out. I have to deliver my application by the beginning of next week and I have the feeling that I won't find out how it works till then. The Nokia people should be able to help, don't they? Do you think contacting them
    directly would work. The really frustrating thing is knowing that it
    works, but nobody, except a few people know how.
    I'll keep trying...

It's been a few months since this backlight thread started... I'm just running into this problem now. Has anyone come up with a workaround?

Has anyone managed to find the workaround for this problem yet?

A hopeful thanks

Regular Contributor
    Well, if you check another thread: put in a player, set size to for instance 25,25, and put it in one of the corners of your display, if you want the light on in series 60, this I have found the only way to work. Chris

Could you please be a bit more specific!
    Thanks.

I don't think it is possible to change the backlight on a S60. Two reasons:
    1. Device Control API is not supported on S60 (at least not on 3650/7650)
    2. The only way to influence the backlight is by pressing a key; painting whatever has no effect at all. And it is not possible to simulate key events

If 1+2 is correct, there's no way to turn the backlight on :-(
    Last edited by baegsi; 2004-01-22 at 09:25.

What java applications do allow the backlight to stay on, on the series 60 phones?

'Ohh, it's possible. There are a few games out there, of course done with J2ME, where the backlight stays on forever. I guess it works like simulating a key press, or something like that in a time interval. Must be done every 14 seconds, cause backlight switches of after 15 seconds. I can't explain it to myself in any other way.

If anybody knows more than I do, let us all know...

Thanx for any help...'

If someone can name the applications then perhaps by emailling the developers, they will reveal this closely-guarded secret!

Regular Contributor
    Bernd, I would of course always prefer the other (correct) method discussed in this thread, but the secret behind how these guys do it I don't know: so what I did was to capture my logo with the 6600 video camera for 5 seconds (.3gpp), and put in the res directory of my MIDlet. Then I construct a player (MMAPI) and initialize it whenever the gamecanvas opens. I then set the loop (videoControl.setLoopCount(-1)), the size (videoControl.setDisplaySize()), and the location (videoControl.setDisplayLocation()). Players running keep the backlight on. Anyway, if I find out the closely garded secret, I'll revert back to that, but at the moment it works fine for me like this. Chris

Example?

I'm not familiar with mmapi and still would like to get the backlight lit on Symbian devices as well. Is there an example application with source code and needed resources (dummy .3gpp) available for this 'kludge'?
    -Juha