Discussion Board

Question read out profile versions/getting profile versions of devices via BT

Hello,

I'm just developing a "quite simple" Java program using BT techniques. Everything is working fine if both devices suppport a minimum version of some profiles. Communication goes via Bluetooth, so many profiles in more or less different versions exists. For getting a more reobust program I want to get out the profile versions of the remote (and local) device. Any chance to determine the version of the offered profiles from the remote BT-device via SDP or maybe SPP and then AT-commands? If I've read the specs correct, attribute 0x0200 VersionNumberList should give me the info... But it doesnt't, even if I include it in the attribute set for the discovery :=(
    Any hints or examples how to get infos out of the remote device?

Thanks in advance. Regards,

Hans

Does this help? Anyway, could you elaborate a bit more what you mean with ‘version’? This might just be incidentally.

Re: read out profile versions/getting profile versions of devices via BT

Quote Originally Posted by traud View Post
    Does this help? Anyway, could you elaborate a bit more what you mean with ‘version’? This might just be incidentally.
    Hello traud,

thanks for your answer. Sadly thats not the desired info :=(
    Maybe it gets clearer with a short example: I need an info about the implemented version of the profile, e.g. AVRCP v1.0 offers just basic interaction, v1.3 allows much more (play, pause, skip, folders...). So v1.0 or 1.3 makes a huge difference. Any chance to get this infos via BT (specially before I'm connected to the device)?

Thanks,

Hans

Well, you have to look up the specification details of your service. For AVRCP (see chapter 8 Service Discovery Interoperability Requirements) this is encoded in attribute 0x0004 (and several other ones; see Core: volume 3 part B chapter 5.1). For many other profiles, this is encoded in attribute 0x0009. However, 0x0311 is the one you should look at. 0x0200 is just for the SDP server itself. Does this answer your question? How do you use AVRCP in a Java MIDlet?
    Last edited by traud; 2009-05-25 at 14:12.

Re: read out profile versions/getting profile versions of devices via BT

Hello traud,

thanks for your answer, think I'll give it a try till the beginning of next week. Now I've got some free time, enjoying the good weather ;=) This seems to be right way to get more infos about the services itself.
    I'm not using AVRCP in a midlet on a phone. I've got an OSGI on a new piece of hardware for (amusement) applications in trains with a "special" JSR-82 implementation (sadly mostly undocumented...), for which I write a thesis. This forum seemed to be a good way to get some infos, because my colleagues "have enough work to do" :=(

Thanks,

Hans

I would not analyze a service discovery server from Java especially a mobile phone. There are limitations in the spec, bugs in the implementation of your local and remote decvice – it is hard to tell what is the problem. If you want to stick to Java, go for BlueCove and check several underlying stacks, just to make sure. What do you mean with OSGI in your conext?

If you are new to J2ME, MIDlets and Bluetooth, I recommend to start with a book or tutorials rather than code examples as you will have to debug a lot on your own. There are a lot of bugs, tweaks and lessons to be learnt. Bluetooth is complicated. I do not have a good J2ME book at hand right now, however, start with the references of this one for JSR-82 (perhaps your library has its previous edition) or read at least the PDF coming with the specification. If you like to start with tutorials, continue here…