Discussion Board

Thumbs down Independent developers treated as second class citizens?

In the run-up to the launch of the Ovi Store I've tried endlessly to find an answer to a simple question: If I am an independent developer working on a Symbian app (WRT app/widget in my case), will I be able to publish on the Ovi Store? While my inquiries have gone largely unanswered, from searching forums and such it seems the answer is going to be a resounding "NO".

Nokia/Symbian already make proper application development difficult if not impossible for non-corporate entities - the fees required for testing and signing can be prohibitively expensive for an individual - especially if they're developing a FREEWARE app! Not to mention the fact that an individual simply cannot get a Publisher ID.

Do the minds at Nokia think that only commercially developed applications are worth using/publishing? Some of the most fantastic apps I use on a daily basis are freeware or made by independent developers. There are many great free apps - Gmail, Google Maps, Qik, etc, but these are all from corporate entities so it's easy for them to sign/distribute the apps.

By treating independent developers like second-class citizens, Nokia is going to push developers away and towards other platforms such as iPhone, Windows Mobile, Android, etc.

Why no love for indie developers???

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Re: Independent developers treated as second class citizens?

Unfortunnately there is a lot of FUD in this thread because Nokia Ovi Store people have been so swamped they can't answer promtply. I take some of the blame for this as I was slow in responding to this and expected them to start "any time now".

The conclusions you have drawn are incorrect for example an application calls for a ID but that is just your personal Tax ID number, there are numerous other ones dealing with signing and verification that have been distorted.

I think when the Ovi Store opens that you and others will find that your fear uncertainty and doubt have fallen away. Until then please don't take a non-answer as a negative.

Thanks for listening to me and if you want to send your question directly to me I will try to expedite it. (please note however this is a holiday weekend).

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by joeattardi View Post
    In the run-up to the launch of the Ovi Store I've tried endlessly to find an answer to a simple question: If I am an independent developer working on a Symbian app (WRT app/widget in my case), will I be able to publish on the Ovi Store? While my inquiries have gone largely unanswered, from searching forums and such it seems the answer is going to be a resounding "NO".

Hi Ron,

I appreciate you replying to my message. The last thing I wanted to do is spread false FUD. I was just repeating what I've read - if the information is incorrect, then my bad, I apologize.

I guess just the fact that nobody was answering my questions made me feel like the small voices of independent developers were being ignored. But your reply has made me feel a little bit better. I guess, bottom line, I'll have to wait and see how things go when the Ovi Store opens.

But basically, the question I am trying to get answered is twofold:

(1) If I am a non-corporate entity, will I be able to publish content, freeware or otherwise, in the Ovi Store and take advantage of the revenue sharing?
    (2) If my app is something that doesn't need to be signed, for example a Web Runtime widget, will that be allowed in the store?

Thanks Ron!

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by joeattardi View Post
    Hi Ron,
    ---------
    deletes
    ----
    But basically, the question I am trying to get answered is twofold:

(1) If I am a non-corporate entity, will I be able to publish content, freeware or otherwise, in the Ovi Store and take advantage of the revenue sharing?
    (2) If my app is something that doesn't need to be signed, for example a Web Runtime widget, will that be allowed in the store?

Thanks Ron!
    (1)
    There was answer by "Head of Ovi Publishing" on the thread, post #3 which shows that independant developers will be brought into the process of selling applications. However my opinion is that the timescale of the end of 2009 will not be achieved. Basically there is another path, that of aggregators, people who will take in independants app and sell them on Ovi. Currently there is only one company who has expressed an interest in doing this.

(2)
    Web runtime does not need to be signed, and will most likely pass QA test, but then reading the Publishing guide no-one has given any QA tests!.

My current interest is using WRT to support FlashLite, instead of Symbian signing. Read the wrt does *NOT* need signing thread.

On the FN Wiki is an article on protecting WRT Widgets as they are very accessible How to protect WRT widgets with OMA DRM 1.0 which may not be accepted at Ovi app store, but works well in other web sites.

UPDATE:- this works well for External web sites but *MUST* not be used on Widgets submitted to Ovi store Publisher should Ovi Store provided DRM protection.
    see also the Thread http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=184679

Good Luck
    Jim Gilmour
    FN Wiki Administrator
    Last edited by jimgilmour1; 2009-11-06 at 17:14. Reason: update to DRM of WRT widgets in OVI store