Discussion Board

Force J2ME to open the Wap browser (instead of the Web browser)

Hi all,

We need to open the WAP browser from our app EVEN if the phone's default is the WEB browser. Is there any way to force the phone to do this?
    We are using platformRequest(url).

Thanks!!

Carlos

Super Contributor

Re: Force J2ME to open the Wap browser (instead of the Web browser)

There is not necessarily a difference between a web browser and a wap browser.

platformRequest() with a URL starting "http:" will open whatever application the device thinks is used for http. You can't decide which it will open. Most devices don't have more than one browser in any case.

What is your distinction between "web" and "wap"?

Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamhughes View Post

What is your distinction between "web" and "wap"?

Graham.
    Hi Graham, thanks for your reply.

That is the key point, the difference between them is that when you use the Wap browser, the carrier intercepts the transmition and adds info to it, like the MSISDN (phone number), with this we can identify the user and charge him when buying our software through the phone bill.

On the other hand, the carrier doesn't put any extra info in the header when using the web browser, and we only can charge the user via credit card or similar.

As you can see, the problem arises if we have different prices depending on the carrier, not just one generic page for all.

That's why is so important to force the phone to use the wap browser for me.

Any ideas?

Carlos

Super Contributor

1) The carriers/operators does not necessarily add the MSISDN to WAP data/headers (some operators do, some don't)

2) It isn't about which brower you use, but which access point (APN, Access Point Name); when you connect through an operators WAP access point, they do things that are not done, if you use the same operator's Internet APN

3) Most of today's phones by Nokia do have only one browser, that can act both as a regular web (HTML) browser, or can also handle WAP (and mostly the behaviour is determined by what the web server sends to the browser, and sometimes by the APN chosen by the user when connecting).

Super Contributor

I don't think any operator (at least in Europe and North America) routinely adds subscriber information to HTTP headers. Contractual agreements with the operator are required to get this information (to have your servers IP address added to the white-list), and even then you might not always get it.

At petrib says, it's not a function of the browser. What's at question is: whether the connection passes through the operator's HTTP proxy or not. A WDP ("WAP") connection always uses a proxy, whereas an IP connection might or might not.

One problem with the term "WAP" is that it covers a variety of things, such as a communications protocol (WDP) and a mark-up language (WML). WDP and WML are completely independent of each other.

I suspect that an increasing number of devices don't even support WDP any more.

Premium-rate SMS is probably a better platform for billing, but is outside my area of expertise.

Graham.

Super Contributor

Some operators/carriers only support service billing via P-SMS, others only via WAP billing connection (or other direct connection mechanism).

How it is done depends on the operator/carrier, and you have to deal with each one separately (one by one). Note also that bigger operators that span multiple countries, may do things quite differently in different countries.

There are also service providers, known as operator billing aggregators, which you can deal with (they handle most of the dirty details with a number of operators, and you only need to deal with the billing aggregator, more or less). However, there is no single aggregator that has connections with every operator in every country.

Local regulators (usually governments or local telcommunications institutions), often enforced by laws, also impose restrictions on what can and cannot be sold/traded via operator billing (the consumer's phone bill).

Hi all, thanks so much for the replies. I'm gonna need to consult our experts in web here because this is going beyond my knowledge.
    I'll come back to you when I have all the replies studied in detail.

Carlos