Discussion Board

Nokia Developer Champion

Unhappy 5800 is not compatible with office - problem in device description

Hi,
    many S60 devices include in their description that they are compatible with office files. As far as I know, those files can only be opened when downloading extra software like "quickoffice", which is NOT always present in the device.

For instance, I just bought a 5800 which came without quickoffice. Its description page http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/5800_XpressMusic
    in the "Messaging" group says "Document Formats - Excel, PDF, Powerpoint, Word, Zip" which is not accurate.

Regards,
    Alejandro.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: 5800 is not compatible with office - problem in device description

Hi the actual pre-installed application might vary between different regions thus you should check the included application before buying a device.

Anyway as this DiBo concentrates on development related issues, you might find more end-user problems related Dibo better suited for your query. Here's link for one: http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi symbianyucca,
    my point is that there is really no compatibility with office files in the basic software of the phone. For instance, one could develop a wap site that links to an excel file when the user_agent says its a Nokia S60. After all, the description says its compatible (and not that in some region may be included software that makes it compatible).

That description is not accurate. It's also misleading because the line is located in the "Messaging" group.

(This is not a user question. I had to "use" an office file to notice that is not compatible).

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    Hi the actual pre-installed application might vary between different regions thus you should check the included application before buying a device.

Anyway as this DiBo concentrates on development related issues, you might find more end-user problems related Dibo better suited for your query. Here's link for one: http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/

Nokia Developer Moderator

I tend to agree with Awoywood. Personally I would state the compatibility/support for a file type if the device is able to open it after being re-formatted, and probably having the memory card removed. Removable applications should not really taken into account, especially if they are not available for free.