Discussion Board

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sales reports?

Re: Sales reports?

Currently under maintenance
    Ovi Store publishing tool is undergoing maintenance
    from 08/07/2009 07:00 UTC until 08/07/2009 10:00 UTC.

Perhaps it's finally coming

Blah, still not reports I'm starting to lose interest in this

getting really tired of not having stats! C'mon OVI !

Regular Contributor

Anyone who attended the morning webinar session have a date for stats yet?

Thumbs down Re: Sales reports?

This is bit irritating and no replies from Ovi team?

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by proberts View Post
    Anyone who attended the morning webinar session have a date for stats yet?
    I entered the webinar in the last 2 minutes. From what I understood, the reports will be available by this weekend.

According to the details in the webinar the reports section should be available today. He mentioned somewhere around mid-day time so I'm guessing they will be pushed in to the system before they close this weekend work

This will definitely help us plan our upcoming development steps!

Regular Contributor

4:30 PM GMT, Friday, July 10th.

Still no sales report :/

This is almost becoming funny with the reports not being available... Come on Nokia what the heck is the deal!

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by zoovision View Post
    This is almost becoming funny with the reports not being available... Come on Nokia what the heck is the deal!
    Maybe Friday in the US, but here in Europe it's ~9:20 PM GTM and no sales report yet.

Hope to wake up tomorrow to a nice surprise...

Regular Contributor

Reports are online!

Yes reports are online, but they are very disappointing.

There are several questions we would like people form Nokia to answer:

1) Were these sales figures affected by Ovi store problems? Should we expect better figures in the future?

2) How much was spent on promoting Ovi store to customers? And how much was spent to promote it to developers? My guess is the ratio is 0% to 100%. Which is perfectly ok considering they need to bring first content to the store and afterward start to sell. But are there any intentions to advertise Ovi store to customers on a large scale?

And I mean "well targeted" advertising not for teenagers that do not have money to spend and on the other hand are very good at finding cracked versions. They will not increase sales.

3) Is the "Most popular" listing correlated with sales?

From the data we have right now the only reasonable strategic decision would be to stop developing applications that requires more than 8 hours to develop. I guess that means to fill Ovi store with screen savers, ring tones, wallpapers and "shortcut applications" for existing well known web apps.

Regular Contributor

Very disappointing could be described an understatement with respect to the stores performance. An application, we developed, achieved sales of less than 75 euros in its first week, the equivalent application on the iPhone grossed a little under 75,000 dollars in the first month.
    A direct weekly comparison is 75 euros to 18,500 dollars.
    For our business, Ovi as it presently stands is an unmitigated disaster given that it takes (at least) twice the effort to develop for Symbian.

We are still developing for Symbian. However, I have no choice – We must either stop all S60 development or scale it down. Our decision will solely depend on Nokia’s response. Can we get a reply ASAP?
    Like every other business, we can't afford to waste money.

I think I can answer the question regarding sales figures and “most popular”. We have another application which made it into the store on Thursday, achieved sales of two units last week and is now in the top ten most popular. Wow!

Some anecdotal evidence regarding consumer promotion: The lady who cut my hair yesterday had a 5800 and when I asked her if she liked the phone, she said yes but there was only one game on it and she was bored with it. She had never heard of Ovi.

I think I can answer the question regarding sales figures and “most popular”. We have another application which made it into the store on Thursday, achieved sales of two units last week and is now in the top ten most popular.
    There must be something wrong with the 'Most popular' ratings. My app had much more sales in the last week and it is not in the top ten most popular. Bad sorting.
    Last edited by mstream; 2009-07-11 at 14:09. Reason: Replied via PM

In my opinion it does not matter the name of the application, what is striking is the difference between the two app stores.

As someone said (on this forum, if I remember well) the worst "business plan" for a developer is to try building the single most successful application that goes directly in the top. As a developer you should be able to be profitable event if your apps are not in top 10.

The best application store from the developer point of view is the one that is closest to an ideal market place. For example if application A is preferred by 90% of the market and application B is preferred by only 10%, the real sales figures should match this ratio 90/10 more or less. What happens in reality on most of the app. stores is that the winner application will get 99.99% of the sales, simply because application B will never get in front of its target (10%) share of the market.

Can we change this for independent application stores? I guess not, because they are interested in selling as much as possible and naturally they will promote best sellers. But from an application store backed by a hardware manufacturer I would expect to encourage the diversity of the offerings, applying a "fair" policy for all developers.

I consider that Nokia has the possibility to offer us such an "ideal market place". For example they can equally promote all applications that pass a certain popularity level, like 1% or even less. They have potentially millions of devices with Ovi store and there is no big deal to promote simultaneously 200-300 applications.

If someone has better than expect sales on Ovi store, please share with us .

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast