Discussion Board

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sales reports?

Regular Contributor

Re: Sales reports?

We didn't believe him at the time because his number was so low, but three weeks ago our marketing consultant predicted our OVI downloads within 3%. He based his prediction on what marketing he saw for OVI and what users were saying about the OVI store on the internet.

There are two sites we didn't promote ourselves, one being OVI because we couldn't link to our products. In roughly the same timeframe, we had 20 times more downloads on the other site, but the other site has been around for longer, so that gives me hope for OVI.

Since launch, OVI has felt like a beta. (Actually, Nokia probably would have benefit from taking 60 days to do a OVI beta available only to publishers.) There hasn't been a lot of marketing to push the OVI store, so hopefully that's coming once some of the issues are resolved.

One way Nokia can avoid the 99%/1% issue is to copy Apple's marketing, but not their shovelware. Apple bragging about 10,000 apps isn't something to be proud about when 9,500 of them are crap.

All, Eric here from Ovi Store team. Many thanks for your posts. Your feedback is much appreciated and we'd like to assure you, we are listening and working hard to correct the early issues. Now that the Ovi publisher reports are available, we look forward to a continuous dialogue and working together to help build your business on Ovi Store.

Ovi Store is still a young and evolving media service that will continue to grow in reach and traffic. The phased, global approach to rollout of the service is proceeding on-plan, market-by-market, device-by-device. You should continually see an increase in activity in your publisher reports going forward with each additional market and device launched. In terms of footprint, Ovi Store is now accessible on more than 75 Nokia handsets around the world. In the first 24 hours after launch, Ovi Store reached consumers in 131 countries. Since then, we're satisfying content demand for consumers in more than 180 countries around the world.

>>Regarding Probert's note below on "Nokia can avoid the 99%/1% issue” Ovi Store aims to be a trusted service that developers are happy with and one that offers consumers the best, most relevant mobile experiences for and across a wide range of Nokia handsets. Content and Apps should be available for everyone and not limited to certain consumer segments on the high end. We need your help in the developer community to make Ovi Store a success at reaching this broad audience with compelling, relevant apps and content. As we evolve the service for developers and for consumers, we believe the opportunity is a very real one to jointly leverage our scale and leadership in devices to connect consumers with the best mobile experiences!

>>Regarding the question raised (below) by 17intellsys on whether you should we expect better figures in the future? The answer is yes. You will start to see more Ovi Store marketing efforts in your region soon--especially in support of the launch of the N97--now reaching markets globally. This is the first device with Ovi Store pre-installed. The visibility of these global, highly visible campaigns as well as messaging appearing on device and in-box, will continue to raise the profile of Ovi Store.

We look forward to continuing the discussion and we’ll keep you posted regarding future webinars etc. In the meantime please be sure to check out the Ovi Publisher Reports guide, the just recently recorded webinar and Q&A brief located here at Forum Nokia <http://www.forum.nokia.com/Learning_and_Events/Webinars.xhtml>
    More later – EJ

Quote Originally Posted by ejohn View Post
    In terms of footprint, Ovi Store is now accessible on more than 75 Nokia handsets around the world.
    In my reporting only Nokia 5800 and Nokia N97 are mentioned in the Devices section. The highest percent goes to 'Unresolved'. Why are so many devices marked as Unresolved? Are S60v3 devices, at least some models, resolved?

Dear Eric, thank you for your answer. It is important and we appreciate that people at Nokia listen what we discuss on this forum.

Since our sales figures are so low that we can not make any statistical measurements, I realize that a good thing for the reporting it would have been to include the "page impressions" for each product. For paid products we have only the number of sales, but we do not know how many persons opened a product page before buying it.

Best regards,
    Lau

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi

Reports tab is now live.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by intellsys View Post
    Dear Eric, thank you for your answer. It is important and we appreciate that people at Nokia listen what we discuss on this forum.

Since our sales figures are so low that we can not make any statistical measurements, I realize that a good thing for the reporting it would have been to include the "page impressions" for each product. For paid products we have only the number of sales, but we do not know how many persons opened a product page before buying it.

Best regards,
    Lau
    ------------
    The addition of page-level analytics that would allow you see shopping cart drop-offs for instance and optimize your app assets, description etc.. is something we're looking at for a future release. We'll keep you posted on this. Thx - Eric

Regular Contributor

Hi Eric,

Thanks for replying and addressing some of our concerns.

The number of geographical markets doesn’t really matter when only a very tiny fraction of that market is aware of the Ovi store’s existence. While no-one could ever dispute Nokia’s ability to reach consumers, unfortunately it has not yet happened with Ovi. The comparison figures I published to this thread last Saturday are a pretty direct comparison between the Ovi store and the Apple store; both sets of figures correspond to the same time frame – around the launch of the store.

When you stated that the “rollout of the service is proceeding on-plan”, you have either set yourself a very low target when compared to the competition or you're being a little disingenuous. The figures don’t lie. I read your response and decided to leave it a couple of days before I replied because this angered me.

I have no doubt that when the Nokia marketing machine is cranked up, things will improve. For the moment we are stuck in the doldrums. How long will we remain here?

When the BA launch of Terminal Five at Heathrow airport resulted in chaos last year, BA saw the result as a severe embarrassment. BA’s response was to promise things would improve and heads rolled inside that organisation when senior executives were fired publicly. Nokia promised developers it would create a market place for third party applications that would rival Apples. To date this has been a failure and if it is “proceeding on plan” then this plan should be an embarrassment to Nokia. Like BA, I believe you when you say things will improve, however is anyone accountable for this dismal launch?

Please forgive my frankness. Yesterday, I had to tell a really good guy that he no longer had a job.

Finally, what concerns me a little is the “most popular” sort. While the question of the “most popular” sort has arisen in three separate threads by multiple developers, no-one within Nokia has addressed it.

Thanks for replying, especially during the weekend.
    We need drastic immediate action to make Ovi a viable, functioning marketplace.

Regular Contributor

I just want to add that maybe Nokia shouldn't wait too long marketing Ovi Store to consumers.

Here (Denmark) several operators have recently starting selling Android pohnes (HTC Magic) and they are advertising these on prime time TV. AND HERE IT COMES: the TV ad specifically mentions Android Market.

I don't believe Android has any significant market share (yet), but they sure have made their market a 1st class citizen of their 'eco-system'.

Guess I'm just looking forward to seeing Nokia TV ads mentioning Ovi Store

Regular Contributor

No word back from Eric.

I reckon he must be busy “bridging the worlds of digital supply and demand” (from Eric's blog). Anyway, hopefully that bridge will be built soon and us digital suppliers will see some demand.

If Nokia expected to be competing with Apple at this point into the launch, we should have expected to see 150 million downloads. I wonder how close Ovi has come to Apple. If I was a betting man, I’d put the fortune (bad joke) we made from Ovi on less than .02 percent of Apples figure. But maybe this was in the "plan".

By the way, we’re now number one and two in the most popular sort for our respective categories, but yet we had no sales last Thursday. I guess the ferry running between supply and demand was closed that day. Can’t wait for this bridge.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by spol View Post
    We’re now number one and two in the most popular sort for our respective categories, but yet we had no sales last Thursday. I guess the ferry running between supply and demand was closed that day. Can’t wait for this bridge.
    I don't want to rain on your positioning, so apologies, but the indexing is still screwed up. Though it's good that it's working out to your benefit...or at least not negatively effecting your positioning.

Regular Contributor

Hi Pat,
    Why do you reckon it's still screwed up? By comparing our sales numbers and the proximity of apps within the most popular sort it appears somewhat correct. Can't say for certain though.
    Spol

Has anyone's reports shown any sales after July 15th?

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by pranayama View Post
    I've got no sales since the 15th for any app.
    Last edited by spol; 2009-07-19 at 21:59.

Quote Originally Posted by pranayama View Post
    I guess it is wide spread...

Quote Originally Posted by lucidmind View Post
    I guess it is wide spread...
    Spol and Prayana, Pls bounce back the names of your apps and I'll bring this up tomorrow AM with the Publishing team. Thx - Eric