Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Contributor

Please use thread to Comment and Opinion Ovi Store Open 26th May 2009

Hi,
    Well the store seems to be open. So far we can see a few products.

Download! on my N95 rev 21.0.1 firmware still shows as before, but an application seemed to point to http://download.nokia.com.
    The store http://store.ovi.com allows access.

This thread is about your comments and opinion in this thread to save to amount of threads being made and allow readers to follow.

The Ovi team appear to be blogging rather than announcing here so go to
    http://blog.ovi.com/ the store has add to web servers to meet response.

Some how looks like answers will be by blog! and Twitter because my Ovi twitter Rss Read has just kicked into life with new posts.

Update to get Ovi Store from Download!.How to download and install Ovi Store (provisional)
    Currently, to download and install the Ovi Store, you need to:

Open Download and choose Options > Refresh content or Refresh List on N95
    Open the Nokia Extra's Category, here you should find an entry for Ovi Store
    Download and install Ovi Store
    Access Ovi Store as you would any other application (it'll be in your Installations / My Extras or similar folder).

Thanks to AllAboutSymbian Australia for this tip
    Last edited by jimgilmour1; 2009-05-26 at 17:44. Reason: add download update instructions

Super Contributor

Re: Please use thread to Comment and Opinion Ovi Store Open 26th May 2009

Hi Just tried instructions on previous post.
    The update and install worked fine on N95 firmware 21.0.x
    The phone needs a reboot and Ovi Store installs and loads/opens *OVER WLAN* , unlike n-gage fiasco.

The download is nearly 3Mb, so dont think you want to load and install over 3G your data charges will be high or you should have an unlimited 3G/GPRS data plan to do this.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by jimgilmour1 View Post
    The phone needs a reboot and Ovi Store installs and loads/opens *OVER WLAN* , unlike n-gage fiasco.
    N-Gage works over WLAN on my phone, FWIW.

Why is there no screenshot of the applications? There's only 1 big icon and that's it. Description alone isn't enough to see what we get from the app.

Update: Never mind. Some app doesn't upload extra screenshot besides the icon.
    Last edited by johnhtl; 2009-05-26 at 20:24.

Regular Contributor

I have tried on N82, N78 and E71, and the Ovi app doesn't show up in any of them after refreshing the download list

Is it correct that the Ovi client is only available in certain countries? If so, is there a roadmap for when other countries will be supported?

I'm located in Denmark.

Super Contributor

The Search Problem
    ------------------

The "Search" box (top right) is very sensitive. When typing "widgets" the response was "Sorry no content for "widgets" ".

Next search tried the single thats "widget". This brought back lots of applications
    (2 pages).

Why so "picky" cant the search just drop the trailing "s". One of key points about Ovi Store we are told is this intelligent search. This is plain ignorant then.

Jim

No sign of Ovi here in Taiwan...

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Utumno View Post
    No sign of Ovi here in Taiwan...
    Hi,

Try using http://store.ovi.mobi from your phone although the Nokia E61 does not have Download!, its got Catalogue.
    Still Nokia E61 can be used to log on and download apps to the phone.

Jim

Super Contributor

Hi,
    New website dedicate to Flash application on Ovi.
    see the Faq

Nokia Developer Expert

Just following up with some of your conversations in this thread and wanted to see if by today you've been able to download and install the Ovi Store client onto your Nokia device. If you have can you leave a quick message stating which device and if yes/no?

Ovi Store is available in over 109 countries, with new countries being added.

If you're interested in browsing what content and applications are available for your device you can go to http://store.ovi.com on your PC web browser, specify your device and browse and search for content. Additionally if you log-in to your Ovi Store account through here you can then send an SMS to your handset with a direct link to the content item in Ovi Store to download on your device.
    [B]Bill Perry[/B]
    Sr. Services Marketing Manager, Forum Nokia
    Publishing to Ovi Store: [url]http://publish.ovi.com/[/url]
    twitter: [url]www.twitter.com/bperry[/url]
    blog: [url]www.mobileperry.com[/url]

Regular Contributor

Unhappy Can't find Ovi Client

Trying again to see if I can download the Ovi client:

N85: (ver. 20.175.53.1 06-04-09, Lang 003, RM-333)
    Starting download and refreshing content ... No Ovi client visible.
    'What's new' shows BioShock, KRAMIS - Bunny Party, Color Rings, Pet Shop Boys
    Searching for 'ovi' find 13 apps. of which only one is related to Ovi (Files on Ovi). Some of the other apps are: Adobe Reader, Flixwagon, Giant panda, Nokia Mobile VPN Client. It sure doesn't make sense for them to show up in that search.

N82: (ver. 31.0.016 09-12-08, RM-313, Chinese)
    Refreshing Content ...
    No Ovi client, Shows something called Ovi Contacts instead of 'Files on Ovi'.

5610: (ver. 09.40 07-11-08, Variant 00.00, RM-242)
    Refreshing Content ...
    No Ovi Client

E71: (ver. 100.07.76 08-06-08, RM-346)
    Refreshing Content ...
    No Ovi client, Shows something called Ovi Contacts instead of 'Files on Ovi'.

Regular Contributor

I found this site, which has the Ovi client app. for S60 3rd FP1 and for S60 5th:
    http://zomgitscj.com/ovi-store-download-the-client/

Must admit I find it rather concerning having to go to other sources than Nokia, just to download the store client

Why does'nt Nokia offer it as an automatic update to the PC suit, I think that is the only hope of reaching the 50 million users they qouted. my PC suits got a bug which keeps prompting me to download the latest version, no matter how many times I download it. I wouldnt mind If it prompted me to download Ovi, and then shut up

Super Contributor

Talking Re: Please use thread to Comment and Opinion Ovi Store Open 26th May 2009

Quote Originally Posted by 21n9 View Post
    . my PC suits got a bug which keeps prompting me to download the latest version,
    Sorry but I cant see any connection between Ovi and Nokia PC suite.

If you have a problem using/downloading try Pc Suite support discussion
    If you have problem developing using PC Suite Developer discussion will help you with programming of PC Suite.

Pc Suite is updated on a regular basis, per month, and requires Adminstrator rights access to you PC to remove the old version and install the new version.

So as the apps are loaded direct to the phone why do we need to use PC Suite.

There is now Ovi Suite 1.1which integrates PC Suite 7.1.26.0 with automatic updates for contacts etc same as on mobile phone.

Thanks,
    Jim

My problem with the PC suite was merely a side note my main point/suggestion was that maybe it might be advantageous for Ovi success if it, by which I mean the Ovi PC client was offered as an automatic update to the PC suite, and there by more users would find it instead of trawling the web looking for it, The majority of NON tech savvy users, won’t know about Ovi let alone be bothered to track it down and install it .

Just an opinion, sorry if I’ve got it wrong and fundamentally misunderstood what Ovi is or something