Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

How to protect Java MIDlet without DRM FL?

Greetings,

as we know that Ovi doesn't have DRM forward lock support for Java MIDlets. So, how can we protect Java MIDlets? We as a application publisher doesn't want to find our application from any torrent.

Does anyone know if you can implement some kind of protection into Java code? From my point of view we could prevent application working in non-Nokia devices because those devices doesn't support Ovi, if non-Nokia device use Ovi application it most likely means that user has got MIDlet from torrent.

Does anyone know if you can get some information in Java code, which indicate if MIDlet is downloaded from Ovi store? This information would be extremely helpfull!

Regards FoL

Re: How to protect Java MIDlet without DRM FL?

I would also like to know the answer for this. Why is there no DRM option for Java MIDlets? Is it automatic? Or, is it impossible?

Regular Contributor

Anyone?

-FoL

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Quote Originally Posted by forceoflight View Post
    Anyone?

-FoL
    Please be patient as we try to get some answers. the Ovi people are extremely busy and I was off for the past few days so things are behind. I'll try to get something soon.

Ron

Regular Contributor

I am still waiting for the answer. That for your help.

-FoL

Super Contributor

Hi,
    As your are aware Ovi store does not have DRM support for Java J2ME. There has been a response on the problems with the DRM for other content. Much waited for response did not give any further answers.DRM offical reponse

The app security situation has been discussed before the opening of the store, during which some developers had decided only to put trial/demo versions of there products on the store. see early threads march 2009-april 2009

One of the main reasons why this security is not high priority is that quite a few people are just trying to get there apps published!, these quite naturally are where the app store effort is going.

Sadly recently one developer who has worried about DRM has found his app has found his app "items missing" error message, needless to say the developer has been more upset at the loss of sales!!.

Due to the Ovi app store being totally over loaded on all fronts. They are 3 weeks behind with emails.

This means a potential lead time of 7 weeks from submission to publish, some people who submitted by 21st April are still having problems.

There is a lot of "Nokia bashing", due to over stretch of resources, due to the success and open nature of the Ovi app store vs the control of the Apple store, due to fact that this store is so cheap for companies to join (50 euros).

On the subject of protection there is not any common agreement on what justifies secure sales of apps, undoubtedly some developers will decide they cannot be bothered with this and believe that there pricing and sales will determine the success.

In summary as IMHO waiting to the nearer end of 2009, before putting app which if you are concerned about security and look around the internet etc to see if any apps have be leaked or illegally used. Hopefully by then the security issues will be resolved.

Jim