Discussion Board

QA testing methods - questions about sideloading/installation methods, environments,

My app had issues which we are unable to replicate - we were testing on a t-mobile UK nokia 5300 and did not get the error message that QA gave us .

Failed Case 1: Download/Install/Launch/Delete on a Nokia 5300
    Summary: If the user tries to start the application from the handset, then the user notices the following error message “Application error”.

My questions:

• Is there a way for us to get in direct contact with the tester?
    • does Nokia use an emulator or do you use real phones? which carrier do you use?
    • do you have an emulator enivronment we can test in to see this ourselves?
    • how specifically does Ovi support load the apps? by cable? what were the precise steps taken? were the JAD and JARs put into the same folder?
    • is there a lab we can test with at the Mountain view, California location?

thanks!

Re: QA testing methods - questions about sideloading/installation methods, environmen

I also would like to know if it is possible to get in touch with the tester. The error reported was "Installation not supported" but we have tested the application on the same devices and haven't seen the problem.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know!

Re: QA testing methods - questions about sideloading/installation methods, environmen

I think this problem is epic fail of QA testing methods. My S60 3rd edition version of app has also failed QA with "application is not signed correctly". But it is. I've found in another trip that you should change *.sis to *sisx for fix this problem, so will try.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitry_Tarasov View Post
    I think this problem is epic fail of QA testing methods. My S60 3rd edition version of app has also failed QA with "application is not signed correctly". But it is. I've found in another trip that you should change *.sis to *sisx for fix this problem, so will try.
    Nokia - my problem is not related to Dmitry's problem.

• we submitted a java app.

• we need more information on how the QA employee at nokia sideloaded the app onto their phone

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitry_Tarasov View Post
    Can you let us know if changing to .sisx fixes the issue? Or could someone from Nokia please confirm this?
    Thanks!

Regular Contributor

not sure this is helpful, but we had the same problem, QA Failed because of "Update error" (symbian app.) we made a comment saying that we tested on all supported devices and never saw this error, in 2 days QA status changed to PASSED.

Quote Originally Posted by minstn View Post
    not sure this is helpful, but we had the same problem, QA Failed because of "Update error" (symbian app.) we made a comment saying that we tested on all supported devices and never saw this error, in 2 days QA status changed to PASSED.
    well the issue is that my company's app passed JavaVerified.

I spoke to a Nokia representative at the JavaOne conference and was told that my app can pass JV but not the Ovi store test because JV doesn't test installation and download from the Nokia Ovi app.

It's not clear to me whether this was sideloaded or downloaded--my best guess (unverifiable) is that they load the apps into the Nokia Ovi app on the phone, then download onto the phone.

Unfortunately, the Ovi store app is not yet available for the 5300, so we can't verify this error.

• Nokia, could we please have access to a Nokia Ovi app store on the Nokia 5300?

Super Contributor

Would be nice if they'd say what the Ovi tests are.

JV requires an OTA download test. If your app can download OTA, but not via Ovi, then I would say that Ovi is at fault, not your app. I can't imagine what you could do to break it.

Does your app read any parameters from the JAD during startup? Possibly, Ovi might alter the JAD contents.

Graham.

Graham,

• yes, our javaverified app does read paramenters from the JAD during startup
    • we can now replicate the nokia installation error by installing the JAR without the JAD... however as we aren't testing directly on the Ovi storefront, we're operating blindly

A Nokia Forum guy at the JavaOne conference said to check the R & D site--is it possible to get access to this ovi app or do we have to wait?

I commented to Ovi once, but there's no reply (10 days ago) I'll try commenting again with this added information.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamhughes View Post
    Would be nice if they'd say what the Ovi tests are.

JV requires an OTA download test. If your app can download OTA, but not via Ovi, then I would say that Ovi is at fault, not your app. I can't imagine what you could do to break it.

Does your app read any parameters from the JAD during startup? Possibly, Ovi might alter the JAD contents.

Graham.

Super Contributor

Do you have a Thawte or Verisign certificate you can sign your build with? If I understand correctly, there's no other cost to submit for Ovi testing?

You could try moving those parameters to the manifest, and re-submit. I appreciate it is a stab in the dark, but what have you to lose?

Graham.