Discussion Board

Nokia Developer Expert

Unhappy Phonon or QSound?

Hi,

The FAQ says QSound is not supported on S60 which is very unfortunate. However, it appears Phonon isn't supported either from what I can find. This leaves me without any way to play sounds in my Qt app for the S60. Is there a way to get either one of these working?

Thanks!
    -m

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Phonon or QSound?

Hi,

Unfotunately Qsound is not yet supported on S60 and phonon is not ported to S60. May be the next release of Qt for S60 will suport it. So you have to wait until the next release or you can try to combine some symbian c++ code to play sound(I am not sure about this).

Regards.
    Jajal Mehul

QSound will be supported on next release, as you can see from: http://qt.gitorious.org/+qt-s60-deve...qsound_s60.cpp

Hi,

Qt 4.6.0 beta 1 includes a Phonon backend based on the MMF APIs. At present, this still lacks a few features (notably support for streaming media playback, provision of metadata to the client, and some video-related parameters such as aspect ratio and scaling mode). We are working on these, and plan to have them in place for the 4.6.0 release.

Qt 4.6 will also ship with a binary-only delivery of a Helix-based Phonon backend.

If you want to keep up to date with development of the MMF Phonon backend, you can use the following resources:

You can also download daily snapshots (source, binaries and SIS files) of the complete Qt package from here.

Best regards,
    Gareth

Here is a quick update of the features which have been added to the Phonon backend in each release of Qt for Symbian:
    (Of course each release also has various bug fixes - full details are available in the database from http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com by searching for 'mmfphonon' as the component name).

• Audio and video playback from files, including metadata support

• Support for streaming playback
    • Playlist handling
    • Aspect ratio / scale mode handling
    • Fixed problems with video playback on some S60 3.2 devices

4.6.2 (scheduled for release in week 7)
    • Enabled audio effects, if supported by the device

Best regards,
    Gareth