Discussion Board

Post Recommendation for S60 Edition for development on E51.

Hi,

I am a newbie here, just starting applications development for my phone (E51). Documentation on Forum Nokia, recommends S60 3rd edition for the development (if my interpretation is correct). But I saw applications developed using S60 5th edition work fine on my phone. So does that mean I can use S60 5th edition for developing my applications?

Thanks in advance,
    Atul.

Super Contributor

Re: Recommendation for S60 Edition for development on E51.

Quote Originally Posted by sowani View Post
    Hi,

I am a newbie here, just starting applications development for my phone (E51). Documentation on Forum Nokia, recommends S60 3rd edition for the development (if my interpretation is correct). But I saw applications developed using S60 5th edition work fine on my phone. So does that mean I can use S60 5th edition for developing my applications?

Thanks in advance,
    Atul.
    Does not necessarily hold true specially if you were to use any new apis that have been introduced in the 5th edition, they certainly wont work on the 3rd edition. However the other way around generally holds true i.e. an app developed on 3rd edition would mostly work on 5th edition, coz of backward compatibility committments of the platform. However its always advisable to test your app on as many devices you claim it to support to not run into user acceptance issues later on, coz capabilities of devices change from one to the other, there are firmware issues at times as well.
    Cheers,
    Mayank