Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

5800 S60 5th Ed. - Numbers appearing briefly in top right of screen navigating menus

Hi,

Sorry if this is not the appropriate forum area...

I own a 5800 XpressMusic (V21 FW) and have a puzzle to solve.

During menu navigation, a small grey box containing a number (e.g. 10.45) briefly flashes up in the top-right of the screen as the user navigates through menus and launches or closes applications?

What do these numbers mean?

They don't seem to relate to free memory, as the numbers are alway less than 12.00 and I have 52MB free according to task manager. Also, if I close and re-open the same menu option or app, the number is different each time. The numbers appeared both with V20 and V21 FW so it's not that.

Some AAS forum users report the same thing happening, but others say it doesn't happen on their 5800.

Although the numbers don't cause any problems, there's nothing in the guide or on internet forums explaining it and I hate a puzzle that cannot be solved.

Anyone?

Cheers,
    Dez

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: 5800 S60 5th Ed. - Numbers appearing briefly in top right of screen navigating me

That is the effect of User::InfoPrint API, and it is normally hidden - can it happen that you have installed some developer/debugger tools on your device? The simplest thing which can enable those infos is the presence of "c:\resource\ErrRd" - unfortunately you can not check this folder with the built-in File Manager (neither via PC-Suite).

Re: 5800 S60 5th Ed. - Numbers appearing briefly in top right of screen navigating me

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    That is the effect of User::InfoPrint API, and it is normally hidden - can it happen that you have installed some developer/debugger tools on your device? The simplest thing which can enable those infos is the presence of "c:\resource\ErrRd" - unfortunately you can not check this folder with the built-in File Manager (neither via PC-Suite).
    Thanks wizard_hu, I think you have explained the root cause.
    I have several self-signed test apps installed.
    Could this trigger the InfoPrint API?

The "self-signed" status itself does not explain your problem. There is however the possibility that a clumsy developer left that debug feature activated and it is now messing your phone.

Look in Settings -> Application manager -> Installed apps for a entry named Errrd and if found uninstall it. If you don't find it then the only solution is to uninstall all those untrusted apps one by one and see which one is the culprit.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    Look in Settings -> Application manager -> Installed apps for a entry named Errrd and if found uninstall it.
    Errrd is not showing up in Application manager, however C:\resource\ErrRd does exist (but I cannot delete or rename it using X-Plore).

If I don't want to uninstall my apps, are there any potential serious issues (handset performance/stability) if I choose to accept the situation and live with the numbers pop-up enabled?

Quote Originally Posted by dascott1966 View Post
    If I don't want to uninstall my apps, are there any potential serious issues (handset performance/stability) if I choose to accept the situation and live with the numbers pop-up enabled?
    It will not cause any problems. The only problematic part is that if you happen to encounter any other badly assembled installation package, trying to install the same "ErrRd" file, its installation will fail with "Update error" message.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    It will not cause any problems. The only problematic part is that if you happen to encounter any other badly assembled installation package, trying to install the same "ErrRd" file, its installation will fail with "Update error" message.
    Thanks for the good advice folks. I will eventually try to find which app is causing the issue, but probably a job for a rainy day. The sun is shining today and it's almost the weekend...

Hi wizard_hu_,
    the same is happening to me, but in may case shouldn't be an application but a reset and then a full restore. Is it possible?
    Are there anyother issues to know?

Although installation and restore are different things, both of them results in new files being deployed to the device. If the mentioned file, "c:\resource\ErrRd" was present on the device when you made the backup, restore can create it.
    If those "messages" are also there immediately after re-formatting or re-flashing the device, it can be assumed as a firmware "bug". Bug, because it should not be there, but it will not cause any harmful effects.
    Actually you should look around on the "real" end-user board, http://www.nokia.com/discussions, there you can find if it is a common issue or not.

I have found the ErrRd file and inside there is a command line that reads "ECHO IS OFF". This means that whatever its purpose, it displays it's findings hence the numbers. Is there any way we can edit that file and make it "ECHO IS ON"? With any explorer? From linux or other OS? I will try accessing the phone from linux and see if I have any luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutorcen View Post
    I have found the ErrRd file and inside there is a command line that reads "ECHO IS OFF". This means that whatever its purpose, it displays it's findings hence the numbers. Is there any way we can edit that file and make it "ECHO IS ON"? With any explorer? From linux or other OS? I will try accessing the phone from linux and see if I have any luck.
    As very clearely expressed in the "Extended panic code" wiki article, the file content does not matter. The "Echo is off" message is an indication of how the file was cresated before it was packaged in the SIS file or indicates how the file was created on emulatror side. Try running a command like this on your PC in order to create a file:
    Code:
    C:\>echo > errrd

C:\>type errrd
    ECHO is on.
    In my case echo's state was on but I can switch it or simply edit the file. Or I can make something like:
    Code:
    C:\>echo The content of this file is not important > errrd

C:\>type errrd
    The content of this file is not important

C:\>
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Thumbs up Re: 5800 S60 5th Ed. - Numbers appearing briefly in top right of screen navigating me

The blue box in the top right corner is debugging info, which shouldn't be present in release builds. It's only shown if a file called "ErrRd" is present in C:\Resources. I think I found a solution for this problem, a friend tested in a 5800xm with the same problem and the box disappeared, please, follow the instructions:

1. Use a file manager and delete the file named errRd in the path C:\Resources\errrd. Reboot your phone and see if the numbers disappeared. If not, follow the steps below.
    2. download and install the file errrd.sisx - http://www.easy-share.com/1907146753/errrd.sisx
    3. after installing, reboot your phone
    4. go to app manager and find errrd. Uninstall it
    5. reboot again and the numbers will probably be gone!

Test and say if it works!
    Last edited by fabiymoura; 2009-08-02 at 20:09. Reason: New information added.

Thumbs up Re: 5800 S60 5th Ed. - Numbers appearing briefly in top right of screen navigating me

I have N97 20.0 firmware.. i had the same problem.. but i had to format the phone with Shift + Space + Back Arrow & Switch ON..... now i have installed all the applications very carefully after checking the blue boxes every time.. I was shocked to see those again.. then i checked the install log and find out which are the applications i have installed that day. then came to know one Profile switching application was the culprit. after uninstalling the blue boxes disappeared now everything fine.

Thanx mate..
    I had a similar problem starting 3 days ago. It may not be harmful or so but was quite bugging. The earlier version 1.0.3 does not have this result but seen in version 2.01 of the subject application

Super Contributor

Hi,
    this could have to do with TRK.

Best regards
    Tam Hanna
    The lines above are the best I have to offer.If anyone of you is of more advanced knowledge, I ask for your patience and understanding! - unknown arab poet
    http://www.tamoggemon.com - Symbian blog - Windows Phone blog
    My other blogs:
    webOS blog iPhone blog BlackBerry blog Samsung bada blog Android blog