Discussion Board

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: How to hide J2ME application in background

when to call the toFront method and i tried it but this is not running in emulator
    Last edited by swapnilsrk; 2013-03-14 at 14:29.

Super Contributor

When you want the application to appear in the foreground.

and that code is not working in j2me emulator.

Super Contributor

No, probably not. The emulator you're using might not support background applications.

Gopal asked you repeatedly: on what device(s) do you want to do this? It is very important, since not all devices will do what you want, and the code I have given will not work on all devices. If you can't answer this question, I really can't help you much more.

Graham.

Ok thank you sir, i'll try and get back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamhughes View Post
    No, probably not. The emulator you're using might not support background applications.

Gopal asked you repeatedly: on what device(s) do you want to do this? It is very important, since not all devices will do what you want, and the code I have given will not work on all devices. If you can't answer this question, I really can't help you much more.

Graham.
    Sir, according to you which mobile support background running code.... & also have a good GPS support.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul More View Post
    Sir, according to you which mobile support background running code.... & also have a good GPS support.
    Almost all Nokia S60/Symbian based phones by Nokia made since about 2005 or so. However, Nokia is not making any new S60/Symbian based phone models. Some of the older models might still be for sale, and the last one Nokia announced was the 808.

Forget all Windows Phone phones (no Java).

Forget all Series 40 devices (no background Java).

You can look up Nokia devices based on different platforms/operating systems or features (like GPS) here: https://www.developer.nokia.com/Devi...s/?filter1=all
    Last edited by petrib; 2013-03-14 at 16:06.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by swapnilsrk View Post
    Ok thank you sir, i'll try and get back to you.
    Appreciate your interest to choose Nokia Platforms & Java for your academic project.

My gentle advice, try to understand the basics of the platform well before you jump into app development - That will really help you in avoiding trouble at later stages of your project.

Any queries you have, we are more than Happy to help!

Regards
    Gopal
    Twitter : @balagopalks
    Linkedin : @balagopalks

Quote Originally Posted by balagopalks View Post
    Which Device are you targeting ? I hope you have read the discussion above.

Regards
    Gopal
    My project is also similar to swapnilsrk project.... & I have too run my j2me app in background. I choose my target device is Nokia C5-00 or Nokia C5-5MP. IU checked its specifications on website both mobile have A-GPS & GPS support. But, is this mobile have good GPS support?? & Is this support background running ???

Super Contributor

Depends what you mean by "good" GPS. If the specification says "GPS" (or "A-GPS", or similar variant), then it uses satellites for positioning, and is not reliant on less accurate means of positioning like the cellular network.

Checking the specification for the C5-00, you'll see "Built on: S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 2". All Nokia devices are built on either "S60..." or "S40..." (Series 60 or Series 40). As petrib wrote above, Series 60 will run apps in the background, Series 40 will not. C5-00 is S60, so that will run apps in the background.

Graham.

Nokia Developer Champion

I am also guessing that most devices use the exact same gps-chipsets, simply because of bulk-buying thus getting discounts at the chip-vendors...
    Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support. All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamhughes View Post
    Depends what you mean by "good" GPS. If the specification says "GPS" (or "A-GPS", or similar variant), then it uses satellites for positioning, and is not reliant on less accurate means of positioning like the cellular network.

Checking the specification for the C5-00, you'll see "Built on: S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 2". All Nokia devices are built on either "S60..." or "S40..." (Series 60 or Series 40). As petrib wrote above, Series 60 will run apps in the background, Series 40 will not. C5-00 is S60, so that will run apps in the background.

Graham.
    Good means If C5's GPS can catch signal even in indoors like inside home or in office.

Super Contributor

Working indoors would not be "good", it would be "amazing". As a general rule, GPS does not work indoors - you need a direct line-of-site to several satellites for it to work.

Once you're indoors, you're relying on WiFi or Cellular network positioning... which will give you worse than 100m accuracy.

We're off topic now - if you want to ask more about GPS or positioning, please start a new thread.

Graham.

Hello sir, i have a little problem with location api. i want to send my application's co-ordianate to server to every minute,even though i am passing the update interval as 60 sec, at server side we get co-ordinate for variable time in seconds(like in 2sec next 4 sec next 5sec)

Super Contributor

This tread is about background apps... if you have a new question on a new subject, can you please start a new thread.