Discussion Board

Thread: NewBie Question

Regular Contributor

NewBie Question

Hello, I am new to programming in the Symbian Platform. I want to develop an application for the Nokia N97 smartphone which will use the GPS. I read from 1-2 reseach papers that some people has problems with Java SDK while reading values from GPS. I am currently thinking about using C++. My first question is that is there any people having experience about reading GPS coordinates from Java SDK. I also assume that GPS works properly without data plan unlike android or IPhone, is it correct?

My Second question is that I usually use Eclipse for C++ development. Which SDK and other programs (Emulator tools) do I need to download for developing Symbian Applications for Nokia N97 smartphone? What is the most suitable tool for developing Symbian Applications with C++ rather than Eclipse (maybe other tools with some plugins). I much appreciate direct answers rather than links to other threads since I have difficulty to get direct answers to my questions. Thanks.

Super Contributor

Re: NewBie Question

Hi MuratMetu,
    If all you wish is to aquire GPS co-ordinates using the integrated GPS receivers, you do not need a data plan.
    Carbide C++ is a good IDE to use and you will have to download S60 5th edition SDK.
    If you chose to use Symbian C++,then you can achieve GPS positioning using lbs.api
    http://www.newlc.com/files/FirstGps.zip is a good example to start with..

Regards,
    Biju

Regular Contributor

Hello Chandran, Thank you for reply. I actually want to develop deamon application which is executed as a backgraound process and record GPS coordinates peridocially and send it through to web portal via http request. Is it possible to use WiFi property of Nokia N95-97 to connect internet without a data plan? I mean can N95 - N97 connect to internet via my wireless modem at home? Is there also any example application or web site that I can find about demaon process that runs in the background without interrupting other processes. Thanks.

Super Contributor

For the background process you can create a console exe and make it to start on boot up using the STARTUP Management API.Try Wiki for the examples on the same.
    If also have a UI application you can see the ClientServerSync example in the SDK to implement a client server architecture.
    Not sure about ur other question but my guess is you will require a data plan..

Regards
    Biju

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by MuratMetu View Post
    Hello Chandran, Thank you for reply. I actually want to develop deamon application which is executed as a backgraound process and record GPS coordinates peridocially and send it through to web portal via http request. Is it possible to use WiFi property of Nokia N95-97 to connect internet without a data plan? I mean can N95 - N97 connect to internet via my wireless modem at home? Is there also any example application or web site that I can find about demaon process that runs in the background without interrupting other processes. Thanks.
    Well yes you can certainly use the WIFI to do that, but the plan would depend on what connection you have..for instance you can set up a wifi accesspoint over your normal data plan, provided your isp doesnt put any limitations on it..and u can use the ap to connect to the internet from the device..and then use that connection to send data using a http post..or even a soap packet if u have webservices exposed on the server.
    Cheers,
    Mayank

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by MuratMetu View Post
    I read from 1-2 reseach papers that some people has problems with Java SDK while reading values from GPS.
    Hi MuratMetu,

Could you tell me what kind of issues? Do you have some links?