Discussion Board

Lightbulb Distributing Windows application inside SIS file

I have created a client/server application, where the client is a native S60 application and server is a MS Windows application. Each user needs to install the server locally to their computer. Can I distribute the Windows installer for server application inside the client sis file? It could be copied during S60 installation to \Sys\Data or some other public directory so that it can be fetched and executed for example using Nokia PC Suite. Any thoughts on this approach? This method would save user from downloading the server from internet, and as far as I know should fit into Symbian Signed rules? Thanks.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Distributing Windows application inside SIS file

If you check a .pkg file, it simply copies files:
    "this file on your PC"-"to this file on the device"

Anyway, an installer for a Windows application is typically a large one, so consider some alternatives
    - doing the whole thing in the opposite direction, and bundling the .sis file with your Windows app (then you could still ease things via putting a shortcut to the .sis in your program group in the Start Menu)
    - providing only a .url file, which can ease the download

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Anyway, an installer for a Windows application is typically a large one, so consider some alternatives
    Thanks for the comments. I have considered the alternatives you proposed as well, but in this case the Windows installer is 200 kilobytes only and sis file for the client 15 kilobytes. So with the server component included the sis file should be less than 250 kilobytes, which is less than a typical standalone S60 application. Surely packaging a Windows installer of several megabytes is not feasible, but in this case I may try this unconventional approach. The benefit is that user does not need to download anything extra if/when I start selling my application. Of course I can setup a website for installer as well.

Super Contributor

There're examples of apps that already do things like this. E.g., Psiloc's Wireless Presenter on S60 can send the required Windows app to a PC from within the S60 app.

Nokia Developer Moderator

The windows file would be in this case a data file for your application as it cannot be executed on device. There are no restrictions on Symbian Signed about data files, other that they must be removed on uninstall.

That being said the submitted content is scanned for viruses so make sure you don't trigger a false positive with our windows binary.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite