Discussion Board

Getting Cell tower information and Phone number from JAVA on s60 3rd Edition FP1

I have been searching the forum to get the cell tower information using j2me but it seems that this is not possible on s60 3rd Edition FP1.

Is there any way to achieve this using only java ?

Another one: is it possible to get current cell phones number using j2me ?

Thanks

Super Contributor

Re: Getting Cell tower information and Phone number from JAVA on s60 3rd Edition FP1

Quote Originally Posted by afzal1986 View Post
    I have been searching the forum to get the cell tower information using j2me but it seems that this is not possible on s60 3rd Edition FP1.

Is there any way to achieve this using only java ?
    No. Check this thread for more information.

Another one: is it possible to get current cell phones number using j2me ?
    No.

Graham.

Re: Getting Cell tower information and Phone number from JAVA on s60 3rd Edition FP1

Thank you Graham,

I have managed to create a C++ application which runs in the background and communicates with a j2me application providing native functionality.

Now can i get the current phone number (The number one would dial to call on this phone) using C++ ?

Thank you again.
    Afzal

Super Contributor

Now can i get the current phone number (The number one would dial to call on this phone) using C++ ?
    No, you cannot.

The network operator could store the number (MSISDN) on the SIM card, but most operators don't as there is no reason to.

The phone itself does not need to know/store its own number anywhere on the phone to make or receive calls (or to send or receive messages, or to make a packet data connection).

In other words, when you make a call, the phone is not transmitting its own number at all. For the recipient, it is the mobile operator's network that looks up the numbers, and sends it to the phone that the call is directed to (unless you've secret number or have instructed the operator to not send your number).

Search for "MSISDN" or "own number" for more about this topic (one of the more popular FAQs).

Oh ok.

Thank you for the info.