Discussion Board

Question Accessing the RMS via USB cable

Hello,

I have developed a j2me application that stores data in a RMS on the phone. I need a way to retrieve this data from a desktop computer with a java app. I was hoping there was a way to do this with a USB cable or bluetooth. I found some information regarding the FileConnection API, but I am unsure this will be able to accomplish what I need to do. The device I am developing for is the Nokia 3110c. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Tyler

Nokia Developer Champion

Thumbs up Re: Accessing the RMS via USB cable

AFAIK this is not possible to retrieve the RMS data any ways except from application.
    I was tried for this but not succeded yet.
    thanks,
    jitu_goldie..

KEEP TRYING..

Re: Accessing the RMS via USB cable

Alright, so I've done a bit more research and it seems that bluetooth would be a better solution for mass implementation of multiple phones for this application. If my app was running on the phone and connected via bluetooth to a desktop computer running its own java app, would I be able to transfer data from the RMS to the desktop computer? If so, how should I go about doing this? I am a bit new to the bluetooth API, so if there are any guides anyone could point me to, that would be great!!

Thanks,
    Tyler

Regular Contributor

Take a look at the following link http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/Bluetooth_API
    There you can find BT chat application, that demonstrates how to send data via bluetooth connection.

If your phone supports FileConnection API you can just store records from your RMS into a file and then access it from your PC.

Nokia Developer Champion

well I posted it somewhere else and you could just read out RMS through your own application, and send the data through BT or internet (set up your pc as a server for example) to your PC, in the form of an array of bytes, or even XML (or custom XML-style) format...
    this would all happen runtime which may saturate your heap memory on some devices, depending on the amount of data from your RMS... another option which has already been stated would mbe to use the PIM to dump your RMS data within a file and send that to yor PC (again BT or internet)...