Discussion Board

Problem creating and installing my first .sis

Hello, I have installed latest version of Ensymble 0.28. I am trying to create my first .sis app. I have a simple script to check my phone's ip that I found in a tutorial. I am trying to have it a stand alone app. However after sucessfully creating .sis and try to install it I get the error "Component 'Python for S60' missing. Continue anyway? When I continue the installation it completes sucessfully but the app does not start when I try to run it. I have Python_1.9.4.sis and PythonScriptShell_1.9.4_3rdEd.sis signed. Both are installed in phone memory "c". Would someone please help me with this problem.
    Any help offered is appreciated. Thank you.

Super Contributor

Re: Problem creating and installing my first .sis

Hi,

Since you are using PyS60 1.9.4 try creating the SIS file using the PyS60 Application Packager (which you can find after installing PythonForS60_1.9.4_Setup.exe). The error you got was most likely due to the fact that Ensymble is for making standalone apps for PyS60 upto 1.4.5.

Thank you bogdan.galiceanu for the quick reply. Tried what you suggested and worked.
    After creating and installing it my phone which has Pythonshellscript 1.9.4 3rdE I tried to install it on another phone with pythonshellscript 1.4.5 3rdE and got the error Certificate error. Are .sis created using 1.9.4 PyS60 Application Packager backward compatible? If I develop a software/script using Python_1.9.4.sis and PythonScriptShell_1.9.4_3rdEd.sis will only run in phone where this two are installed?

Thank you for assisting me. You help is appreciated.

Super Contributor

I guess you have to tick the "1.4.x compatibility" option in the lower part of the Application Packager window for it to work with 1.4.5. By the way, did you sign the SIS or did you try to install it directly after creating it?

Hi bogdan.galiceanu,

Thanks for the quick reply. I did not not sign it. I was installing it directly. I have a pythonshellscript 1.4.5 sign. Doesn't that take care of future application signing?

Thanks

Super Contributor

The script shell is for running scripts (text files with the PY extension). It has nothing to do with running standalone applications (installed from SIS files).

I asked about signing because that usually what certificate errors refer to. Since you didn't sign it, please go to Settings -> Applications -> App. manager (or similar) on your phone and make sure "Software installation" is set to "All". Then try again.

And have you tried with the "1.4.x compatibility mode" option activated?

Hi bogdan.galiceanu,

I tried creating the .sis file with 1.4.x compatibility mode activated and it worked. I also signed the application. However when I run it I can not get the GPS co-ordinates. It displays permision is denied error.
    Could this mean that the file was not signed well? Can sign the same application using the same name again. I had signed it online.

Thanks

Super Contributor

Hi,

You have to specify the capabilities when creating the sis file too. So in the Application Packager, in the "Additional options" field, write the capabilities you need like this:
    Code:
    --caps=Location+SwEvent+...
    That was just an example. You can specify the capabilities you need or specify them all.

After that, sign the file at Symbian signed again with the necessary capabilities and it should work.

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by amuthiga View Post
    Are .sis created using 1.9.4 PyS60 Application Packager backward compatible? If I develop a software/script using Python_1.9.4.sis and PythonScriptShell_1.9.4_3rdEd.sis will only run in phone where this two are installed?
    If you use PyS60 Application Packager for creating SIS files, then that application works only with PyS60 1.9.x runtime. If you want that application to work with PyS60 1.4.*, then you need to repackage it with ensymble.