Discussion Board

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy Users get an error when trying to buy our app

Hi,

We've published our app on Ovi, passed QA and went live happily together with the rest of the Ovi Store.
    Everything was fine for the first few days (other than a few initial hiccups), but starting 4 days ago, when users try to buy our app they are getting the following strange error:

"We are experiencing problems with the payment service. You will be taken back to the catalogue page."

It is no longer possible to buy the app, even though you can find it on the store

On the Ovi Publisher web site, if I go to the "Content" page and click on the "Publications" tab, I see the message "This content item has not been publicly exported in this channel". When things were running fine, I didn't see the message. Instead, I was able to see the publishing details (operators, devices, languages). Now the reporting section has disappeared too... It seems like our files were pulled out of the store for no apparent reason.

Ovi Publishing Support is "investigation this issue" for 4 days, but I wonder if other publishers have encountered this strange error too... If you have, how was the problem resolved in your case?

Many thanks,
    Ori
    Last edited by ori_regev; 2009-06-04 at 08:04.

Re: Users get an error when trying to buy our app

I also experienced the "problem with the payment service" issue repeatedly when attempting to purchase apps from the store over the weekend. I believe one of the apps was Clipiti.

Now, when I go to the bookmarked Clipiti page on my N78, it says "Sorry, this item is no longer available." But, if I do a search, Clipiti turns up. Clicking on the link again gives the "Sorry, this item is no longer available."

Super Contributor

Hi,
    I can find Clipiti under the "Download!" Ovi app client on N95, by search. When try and access the detail by clicking on the item the message "Resource does not exist".

Looking this up the good old Wiki has an article and quote parts here

[#RFC5023 The Atom Publishing Protocol] [RFC5023] is an application-level protocol for publishing and editing Web Resources using [#RFC2616 HTTP] [RFC2616] and [#W3C.REC-xml XML 1.0] [W3C.REC-xml]. The MOSH API, coupled with Atom, supports the creation of Web Resources and provides facilities for:

* Authentication: Ownership of and access to manipulate resources.
    * Collections: Sets of Resources, which can be retrieved in whole or in part.
    * Services: Discovery and description of Collections.
    * Editing: Creating, editing, and deleting Resources.

This list is not intended to show use cases or rules for all requests. It is merely a list of error codes the MOSH API uses to convey information to Clients on failed requests.

Error Code Error Label
    9210 Resource does not exist
    9211 Resource no longer exists

Update reading the internet this is some sort of publishing cache error
    CacheRoot "/var/cache/apache2/proxy"
    # 300MB
    CacheSize 307200
    # in hours
    CacheGcInterval 4
    CacheMaxExpire 24
    CacheLastModifiedFactor 0.1
    CacheDefaultExpire 1
    CacheForceCompletion 100

Bad Gateway
    The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
    Additionally, a 502 Bad Gateway error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Site Error
    An error was encountered while publishing this resource.

Resource not found

Sorry, the requested resource does not exist.
    Check the URL and try again.

Resource: VirtualHostBase GET
    Now hopefully web support has provided enough information for some people to fix this!.

Jim
    Last edited by jimgilmour1; 2009-06-03 at 12:19. Reason: more infor found

Thanks for the info Brian.

Yes, Clipiti is the app I was referring to.
    I didn't want to use the forum for promoting it, but now that you've mentioned its name I guess it's ok

You're right - I just searched again (device set to N95) and found it, but when I click on it I get the "item no longer available" message too (Clipiti runs on both N95 & N78 as well as many other phones).

Sorry to say this, but it looks like something is broken in Ovi's publishing mechanism.

Ori

Quote Originally Posted by jimgilmour1 View Post
    I can find Clipiti under the "Download!" Ovi app client on N95, by search. When try and access the detail by clicking on the item the message "Resource does not exist".
    Thanks Jim for trying to help.

Clipiti is a Java app, so my guess is that the jad/jar files were accidentally deleted from the production system or were lost during the publishing cycle of Ovi's content management system (I assume there's some kind of a periodic-build of the site + some kind of caching of static content like jad & jar files).

The big question is why it was dropped and if there's anything I can do about it...

Thanks,
    Ori

still no solutions

5 days and counting...

Ori

Just out of curiousity, are you a Forum Nokia Pro or Forum Nokia LaunchPad member? I am wondering if they are getting priority support for the Ovi Store.

No, not a a Forum Nokia Pro or Forum Nokia LaunchPad member.
    Perhaps their problems are solved faster, I don't know.
    Anyway, it's our 6th out of the store...

Ori

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ori_regev View Post
    No, not a a Forum Nokia Pro or Forum Nokia LaunchPad member.
    Perhaps their problems are solved faster, I don't know.
    Anyway, it's our 6th out of the store...

Ori
    Hi,
    No! whether you are FN Pro, FN Launchpad, or FN Champion. nobody has any extra influence. In other places here has been suggestion that a publish operation as you said, FN Champions may have some more influence in other places, but not on Ovi, some of us cant get an publish account.

Ori is correct in that there is a periodic publishing cycle that pushes content the Store. This is the reason some content items or their modifications (which might be approved and otherwise good-to-go) aren't appearing in the Store right away.
    Phonelocator had disappeared competely, Clipiti has partially disappeared which may be some technical problem with publishing links

Thanks,
    Jim
    Last edited by jimgilmour1; 2009-06-05 at 08:31.

Apparently, this problem is not unique to Clipiti.
    For example, this quote was taken from an article by All About Symbian:
    ...Incidentally, if anyone from Nokia is reading this, could you please take a look at the Ovi Store servers and find out why some games are constantly appearing and disappearing! ...
    From this article it seems that 28 new games showed up on Ovi yesterday - looks like another content-push cycle. Unfortunately, Clipiti is still not there...

10 days that users can't buy Clipiti and we can't get an explanation from Ovi's publisher support...
    Beginning to wonder if we ever will...

Apparently, this problem is not unique to Clipiti.
    For example, this quote was taken from an article by All About Symbian:

From this article it seems that 28 new games showed up on Ovi yesterday - looks like another content-push cycle. Unfortunately, Clipiti is still not there...

10 days that users can't buy Clipiti and we can't get an explanation from Ovi's publisher support...
    Beginning to wonder if we ever will...
    It is happening to a lot of apps from publishers of all sizes including Nokia. For example Nokia's own N-Gage games are supposed to be published:

http://www.n-gage.com/ngi/ngage/web/.../ovistore.html

but when you search for them on Ovi Store they are invisible. They were visible over a week ago:

http://www.ovigaming.com/news/item/9..._in_Ovi_St.php

but they aren't there any more, and they were never properly downloadable either as clicking on them showed an error.

and there are lots of other examples. The world's largest phone game publishers including Electronic Arts, Gameloft, THQ and others have games on Ovi Store which are sometimes visible and sometimes not visible. The weird thing is they have had newer games appear successfully, but many of their launch titles still aren't reliably visible, they come and go.

Clearly if companies of that size are having problems, and Nokia themselves are having problems publishing their own software, Nokia's engineers must be feeling a lot of pressure to fix it. Hopefully they will fix it soon.

Thank you very much for all the info.
    It is somewhat comforting to know that we're in good company...

Ori

Thank you very much for all the info.
    It is somewhat comforting to know that we're in good company...

Ori
    If you want an example, try searching for THQ:

http://store.ovi.com/search?q=thq

On my screen I can see 13 results, including Empire Strikes Back, Wall-E, Saints Row 2 and Chop Sushi.

But if I look on the THQ page of Ovi Store:

http://store.ovi.com/publisher/THQ+W...kSource=search

there are only 9 results, and I cannot see Empire Strikes Back, Wall-E, Saints Row 2 and Chop Sushi.

What has happened to these four games? They've disappeared. I bet this has happened to lots of publishers.

I've seen this happen to at least one game I've already purchased, it used to be available and has now disappeared, so this situation seems to be changing all the time.

Yes, you're 100% right.

I went to http://store.ovi.com
    Selected "Any Phone" as my device (by clicking once on the left arrow under the phone images)
    Searched for "THQ".
    Got the 13 results you've mentioned.
    Clicked on "The Empire Strikes Back" in the results page.
    Got the dreaded "Item unavailable" page.
    Cute.

Exactly the same thing happens when I search for my own app (clipiti) - even for supported phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain

All good things arrive unto them that wait -- and don't die in the meantime...
    Thanks,
    Ori

Yes, you're 100% right.

I went to http://store.ovi.com
    Selected "Any Phone" as my device (by clicking once on the left arrow under the phone images)
    Searched for "THQ".
    Got the 13 results you've mentioned.
    Clicked on "The Empire Strikes Back" in the results page.
    Got the dreaded "Item unavailable" page.
    Cute.

Exactly the same thing happens when I search for my own app (clipiti) - even for supported phones.

Thanks,
    Ori

It seems to be even more complicated, some games are visible in some countries but not others (see the comments section of this item):

http://www.ovigaming.com/news/item/9...ewed_on_Ov.php