Discussion Board

Ovi automated signing

Does Nokia have any plans for an automated signing system like android or blackberry, As i understand it Nokia have dropped Java verified as a requirement for submission to the Ovi store (thanks for listening Nokia ). But still requires the midlet to be signed with a Verisign or Thawte signature. While at first glance this seems to address the whole issue, for me and quit likely many others this seems like a somewhat sticky tape solution, Its still gona cost me $500 a year for the privilege of selling my products, and the process of signing is no less convoluted and confusing.

So will Nokia close this issue once and for all and use a system similar to Apple Android and Blackberry, where by we as developers can upload our apps unsigned to Ovi for approval, Nokia checks the app as normal to make sure it meets their criteria and then signs the app for distribution on Ovi. I think this would greatly simplify the whole process of developing for Nokia devices and submitting content to Ovi.

Please note this isn’t a Nokia bashing exercise I’m grateful that Nokia has been listening to the development community and how hard the Ovi team has been working to get Ovi up and running, but the whole signing and java verified thing has been a thorn in the side of the Java developer community for, far far far too long now, and I think it needs a company like Nokia to shake things up and cast aside the hurdles, which have been placed in the way of java developers, and get us excited about developing for mobiles once more.

Thanks
    Last edited by 21n9; 2009-06-02 at 22:11. Reason: spelling

Super Contributor

Re: Ovi automated signing

I also don't see the point in needing a signature, if it's not signed as tested by some trusted party.

My vote is for Apple-ish, Android-ish, Blackberry-ish approach. $500 a year is too much money for freeware!! Has no one at Nokia thought of this?!

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Quote Originally Posted by fahad@guidedways.com View Post
    My vote is for Apple-ish, Android-ish, Blackberry-ish approach. $500 a year is too much money for freeware!! Has no one at Nokia thought of this?!
    I believe that there are exceptions for freeware and it has a free or low cost signing, have you looked into it?

Ron

Regular Contributor

AFAIK the cheapest entry to publish a J2ME app. on Ovi is: 50 USD sign-up fee to publish.ovi.com + 299 USD for a 1 year Thawte Java code signing certificate (https://www.thawte.com/process/retai...uctType=devel1).

I don't know if the Thawte root CA is installed on all phones though. I have heard the VeriSign (1 year 499 USD) is more widely supported, but have never got any definitive answer on what percentage of phones support Thawte, VeriSign or JavaVerified.