Discussion Board

Some questions about getting set up

Hi,

I was thinking of developing some software to showcase in the OVI store.

I had assumed that it worked similar to the Apple store set-up where a developer creates a package, submits it to the Apple store and apple take commission on any profits made. From what I can see, this does not seem to be the case with the OVI Store, and from what I can see, you need to pay a signup fee and be VAT registered etc before you can even THINK about pushing something to the store.... so my questions are as follows:

1) Is there any way to develop and distribute software/games in the store by just paying commission and not a sign-up fee? (also, how much IS the signup fee)

2) If the setup really is skewed to only allow companies and sponsored individuals to develop on it, why is this? Why cut out so much of your potential profit by requiring cash up-front? (again, I refer to the apple store and how successful that is with it's free and none-free apps available)

Just feeling a little dis-heartened, I just recently bought a 5800 and really got excited about developing some software for it, just to be blocked by a requirement of a VAT number and a registration fee.

Thanks in advance for any advice

edit: After a bit of looking around, it seems the apple store also has a developers fee, so my apologies... my questions still stand if anyone could help..
    Last edited by ShavenLunatic; 2009-06-03 at 15:19.

Re: Some questions about getting set up

you need to pay a signup fee and be VAT registered etc...
    The fee is 50 Euros and if your application is rejected this will be refunded.
    VAT is used by some countries and it allows us to comply with those country's fiscal needs. For countries that don't use it, this part is not required. However, there are other very important pieces of information that are factors on whether an application is approved or not. The company's history, its URL, its contact email that is verified, etc.

Just feeling a little dis-heartened, I just recently bought a 5800 and really got excited about developing some software for it, just to be blocked by a requirement of a VAT number and a registration fee.
    The attempt is to have the best content available, if an individual who has a registered company can create solid applications; then these will be published. The last thing a consumer wants is upload a "free" application that will crash the phone or corrupt "paid" applications.

I have a Nokia N97 purchased in South Africa. Local telephonic assistance is not working. I am trying to Synch my N97 to my PC. I have Nokia the latest PC suite 7 installed on my Laptop. When trying to synch, the Laptop reports an error requiring a driver called BkMrkSync.xpi. to interface to Firefox. Firefox says I have to obtain this from Nokia. Please help to get my Cellphone and Laptop to Syncronise. Jan Erasmus

janrts
    I have a Nokia N97 purchased in South Africa. Local telephonic assistance is not working. I am trying to Synch my N97 to my PC. I have Nokia the latest PC suite 7 installed on my Laptop. When trying to synch, the Laptop reports an error requiring a driver called BkMrkSync.xpi. to interface to Firefox. Firefox says I have to obtain this from Nokia. Please help to get my Cellphone and Laptop to Syncronise. Jan Erasmus
    Hello Jan, I'm uncertain this is the right discussion board or discussion thread to query about this. But it did sound intriguing enough that I search for this file you mention. Please check this other discussion thread: http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...hread.id=32941 and find out what Firefox version you have.

Br,
    Dario