Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nokia Developer Champion

Thumbs up Mobile Design Challenge - Part 2

Hi,

We are back with the new contest under the same title with part 2, i.e: Mobile Design Challenge part 2

This time we have Nokia N97 as a prize for each of the following categories.

* Theming
    * Flash Lite UI Components
    * Usability
    * Surprise us! (anything related to mobile design)

The contest will run between June 3 to June 30, 2009.

See the rules: Rules of Participation for the Mobile Design Challenge part 2 (June 3 - June 30 2009)

Please feel free to ask any question related to this contest in this thread.

PS: Corresponding blog entry: Win Nokia N97

All the best.
    Last edited by kiran10182; 2009-06-03 at 21:20.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Super Contributor

Re: Mobile Design Challenge - Part 2

Hi,

For the contest do all articles/contributions have to be new i.e. something that hasnt been discussed/contributed earlier? What if there is an article and I want to edit it and make it more informative, does that still qualify for the contest or what?
    Cheers,
    Mayank

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by mayankkedia View Post
    Hi,

For the contest do all articles/contributions have to be new i.e. something that hasnt been discussed/contributed earlier? What if there is an article and I want to edit it and make it more informative, does that still qualify for the contest or what?
    hello mayank

i am not a proper person to answer but i guess the answer is yes editing the existing article will be considered for the competition.

Cheers,

Nokia Developer Expert

For the contest do all articles/contributions have to be new i.e. something that hasnt been discussed/contributed earlier?
    No, they don't have to be brand new. But do see my note at the end.

What if there is an article and I want to edit it and make it more informative, does that still qualify for the contest or what?
    Yes, it does, and in that case only your edits are considered for the competition. In fact we very much encourage improvements to the existing articles;-)

My only note here is that we do not accept plagiarism, i.e. if there is an article already published somewhere else outside our wiki, then of course you must have/own rights to copy an existing article as basis for a possible new improved article to our wiki, and even when so a link and reference to the original source must be provided. In general, (new) articles should not provide faulty impression that something is brand new written solely by you, if that is not the case. Anyway, as such we invite also already existing relevant content imported and improved to our wiki, as long as that has been done ethically and with proper/clear acknowledgement of the original sources / reference material.

In case of improving existing articles on our Wiki this is typically not an issue to worry about, article history shows who has done and what.

Cheers,
    Jarkko

Super Contributor

Thanks Gargi and Jarkko, I thought so too, coz creating a new page with some different name for the same meaning title would have been an overkill and caused un-necessary clutter.

I am off to editing some pages which I see are obviously lacking in content.
    Cheers,
    Mayank

Hi,

I saw some articles on Flash Components posted in the wiki after the contest was declared, these are the same ones released by Nokia. I think it was enough to post the link to the documents online, unless there are any additions made to the same.

Just wanted to know whether these entries are also considered for the competition or only new articles will be considered.

Nokia Developer Expert

Well, I have posted them myself. And no they are not entries for the competition.

The intent was to have the existing components done by Forum Nokia presented in wiki as well, and to show developer's an example how to present additional Flash Lite components on our Wiki, as well as to provide the manual directly accessible online, instead of just a pdf inside a downloadable zip package, and to potentially to get improvements and additions to the manuals from developers. Ideally I would have posted them prior to the competition, yet I did not have time to do so.

I can (and will) make it clearer those articles are also included inside the Flash Lite components package available in Forum Nokia.

Cheers,
    Jarkko

Hi Jarkko,

Thank you for the clarification.

I just have a small clarification. I read that previous articles are also valid For the Mobile design contest 2.
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph..._in_Flash_Lite
    This is my own article written only about a month back and I have added the required categories(Flash Lite components and Mobile design) to the article. So, does this article compete ?
    Twitter - manikantan_k
    Just in --

Super Contributor

The rules of participation says something like :-

Only entries during the contest period 00:01 GMT June 3rd, 2009 to 23:59 June 30, 2009 will be accepted for this contest

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph..._Participation

So I doubt if previous entries will qualify without extensive modifications so to speak. Maybe a wiki administrator would clarify this better.
    Cheers,
    Mayank

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by manikantan View Post
    I just have a small clarification. I read that previous articles are also valid For the Mobile design contest 2.
    This is my own article written only about a month back and I have added the required categories(Flash Lite components and Mobile design) to the article. So, does this article compete ?
    I believe that merely adding categories won't qualify the contest. There should be some better addition/improvement to the original articles to get qualified. See the detailed reply from Jarkko in post#4 in this thread.
    Last edited by kiran10182; 2009-06-16 at 15:34.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

CAn anyone parcticipate?
    i mean i dont know anything about programming. is this 2 devolop a program or to give ideas?

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by akudimama View Post
    CAn anyone parcticipate?
    i mean i dont know anything about programming. is this 2 devolop a program or to give ideas?
    The contest is about analysing various aspects of the application's usability, how a certain application should look, what user interface elements are available etc. Programming skills are not necessary. You can find more info here.

Good luck

Hi,

I had a query, if i post an article and it may be relevant under mobile design as well as usability...then can i put the category as both.
    And if i do that will that article be eligible for the competition in both categories or only one or some other logic ?

Thanks.

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by manikantan View Post
    Previous article statement was referring to a case where somebody has already published a relevant article outside our wiki but chooses to bring it into our wiki instead (or in addition). Not previous articles on our wiki already. So the competition applies for contributions to Forum Nokia Developer's Wiki during June.

Another point of the Flash Lite components category is to follow the guidance provided by Forum Nokia in order to provide components in a unified way, and to appear similar in their usage and documentation. I have not checked this component referred in detail, but as it has been provided prior to the publication of the guidelines and components by Forum Nokia, it can potentially differ in its implementation and presentation. If so, what you could consider is to modify your component to be according (if it is not) to the guidelines from Forum Nokia, and then it could apply for the competition. Should you feel that there would be aspects which could be better when doing and presenting components (as oppose to the guidance from Forum Nokia) we are more than happy to receive feedback and open to discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by aadhar14b View Post
    I had a query, if i post an article and it may be relevant under mobile design as well as usability...then can i put the category as both. And if i do that will that article be eligible for the competition in both categories or only one or some other logic ?
    Thanks.
    Yes, you can put both categories. And it would be eligible for both categories. However, we will evaluate the whole picture and total quality and value of the contributions of the persons on the mobile design area rather the strictly look each category totally independently. The latter being said to highlight the fact that shooting all the eligible categories into an article does not really increase the possibility to win, instead more important is to truly consider what the article is about and have the categories accordingly. And when it is about multiple categories, then it should also contain all those categories.

Cheers,
    Jarkko