Discussion Board

Applications not appearing in s60 emulator

Hello, I am having trouble using the SDK command line tools to run C++ applications on the emulator. I am using s60 3rd edition FP1.

When I build applications in Carbide, they run in the emulator no problem but when I use command line tools, although they appear to build OK, the apps simply do not appear in the "installed" folder in the emulator. I run commands as follows:

bldmake bldfiles
    abld build winscw udeb

The output of the second command is fairly cryptic and it's hard to tell if it's succeeding or not, I can post the output if this helps.

Thanks, Niall

Super Contributor

Re: Applications not appearing in s60 emulator

Quote Originally Posted by murphyn9 View Post
    The output of the second command is fairly cryptic and it's hard to tell if it's succeeding or not, I can post the output if this helps.
    Yes, build output is useful to find errors, if any. so past some build output here.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Hello, I am having trouble using the SDK command line tools to run C++ applications on the emulator. I am using s60 3rd edition FP1.

When I build applications in Carbide, they run in the emulator no problem but when I use command line tools, although they appear to build OK, the apps simply do not appear in the "installed" folder in the emulator. I run commands as follows:

bldmake bldfiles
    abld build winscw udeb

Thanks, Niall
    Also hope you have configured your environment for winscw command line. Find this in start->program files-> carbide XX->Configure environment for winscw commandline.

Your application itself also matters: note that Carbide offers launching the .exe file directly - instead of launching the emulator (it asks about that on the first time, and you can also modify it in Run/xy Configurations..., check http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...arbide.c%2B%2B ). If this is the case, it may happen that the project has no icon at all, but you can create one: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ons_on_Devices ). Actually my bet would go for this one, since Carbide does not remove your application from the emulator, thus it would still appear there if it would have an icon at all.
    Otherwise the configuration mentioned by Symbian_Neil is also necessary if you have not done that yet.

Also hope you have configured your environment for winscw command line. Find this in start->program files-> carbide XX->Configure environment for winscw commandline.
    Thanks Symbian_Neil, I had not done this. It seems to have been missed in the tutorial I was using. Applications are building fine from command line now. (For anyone reading, I also had to reboot after running the batch file)

Thanks for the replies,
    Niall

Glad it helped. I am not sure if its needed to restart the system. Only restarting the command console should be enough. But all the same, its minor.

Regarding cryptic, keep a watch for stars(something like ***), and that line should have some word 'Error' (if I remember correctly) thats the place around which (usually just before) you will get the clue of whats gone wrong.

Good Luck!