Discussion Board

Changing from self-signed to signed

I have a self-signed app and I am looking to change it into a symbian-signed app soon, but have a problem.

By changing all the UIDs from unprotected to protected ones the device will see the symbian-signed version as a new application and fail to install it if someone has already installed the self-signed version.

Is there a way of forcing an uninstall of the old version so that it is possible to update the app without problems? If not, what is the best practice? Do I change the names of all the files that it installs so that the install will succeed, but you end up with two versions of the app installed, or do I keep the filenames the same so that the install will fail and try to explain to people that they need to uninstall the old version or is there another solution?

Cheers!

Super Contributor

Re: Changing from self-signed to signed

by changing the UID in pkg file your signed application is a New application it self. For failing workaround it is aways suggested that you change you binary and files names to include UID3 in it. for example myApp0x2010293.exe

Nokia Developer Champion

Change name of binaries to different one from old binaries name, as suggested by skumar_rao. After that, when you install new (signed) appication, you will find both application on device. In such case you can do following thins.

1)start your application after installation, using FR, RI.
    2)Uninstall self-signed application silently using SwiUI::RSWInstSilentLauncher.

Thanks for the help guys! It looks like changing all the filenames, running the application after install, and uninstalling the old version if it exists at startup will do the trick.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers!