Discussion Board

File system permissions in pyS60 1.9.5

Is there a way to give python scripts permission to write to the C:\sys\bin folder using version 1.9.5. I can do this using version 1.4.5 but (for me) version 1.9.5 produces an I/OError:[Errno 22] Invalid argument result.

Thanks,

Mo

I'm just learning python and all it can do. It seems a lot easier than Carbide c++.

Super Contributor

Re: File system permissions in pyS60 1.9.5

You would need to sign the script shell (for running scripts) or the Python application with the TCB capability. That would solve any permission related problems, not sure about the invalid argument one. But that would require you to buy a Publisher ID from Symbian Signed (a lot more detais are available in The Complete Guide To Symbian Signed). You can find more information about capabilities here.
    Last edited by bogdan.galiceanu; 2009-06-08 at 17:29.

Thank you Bogdan

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by MoWeb View Post
    Is there a way to give python scripts permission to write to the C:\sys\bin folder using version 1.9.5.
    Just wondering, why would you need to write to c:\sys\bin directory ? You can always place the files to this directory by adding entries in PKG file.

Actually, I have a similiar issue.
    in my first exploration of Python I started to write a script that writes a backup of my memory card to an IMAP4-Account. One of the major issues I currently have is that I cannot read the data from e:\sys and e:\private. Acording to MoWeb's issue, in a recovery phase I cannot write the data back to both directories.
    I guess for a hobby project an PublisherID is not really an option.
    Could you suggest any workarounds?
    I'm wondering which data I'm missing if I do not backup e:\sys and e:\private.

@MoWeb: I'm surprised that you were allowed to read from \sys using Python 1.4.5, did it come with different capabilities?

Bye 0702

Quote Originally Posted by mahesh.sayibabu View Post
    Just wondering, why would you need to write to c:\sys\bin directory ? You can always place the files to this directory by adding entries in PKG file.
    I have a program where the dll is placed in the C:\sys\bin folder. I can change the programs behavior by replacing this dll.

Quote Originally Posted by user0702 View Post
    Actually, I have a similiar issue.
    in my first exploration of Python I started to write a script that writes a backup of my memory card to an IMAP4-Account. One of the major issues I currently have is that I cannot read the data from e:\sys and e:\private. Acording to MoWeb's issue, in a recovery phase I cannot write the data back to both directories.
    I guess for a hobby project an PublisherID is not really an option.
    Could you suggest any workarounds?
    I'm wondering which data I'm missing if I do not backup e:\sys and e:\private.

@MoWeb: I'm surprised that you were allowed to read from \sys using Python 1.4.5, did it come with different capabilities?

Bye 0702

I just found Python 1.4.5 on the Internet. I don't know why it can write to and read from the \sys folder.

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by MoWeb View Post
    I just found Python 1.4.5 on the Internet. I don't know why it can write to and read from the \sys folder.
    Interesting... can you share the link? Guess this has been signed with additional capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by mahesh.sayibabu View Post
    Interesting... can you share the link? Guess this has been signed with additional capabilities.
    I don't remember any specific link. I was using Google and just clicked a link at random. This was about 2 months ago and I just started playing with Python. I'll be on the hunt for it however and add the link here.

MoWeb