Discussion Board

Unable to initiate debugging on an N82 device

Versions:
    Nokia N82, Model N82-1
    Carbide.c++ Version 2.0 Build 014
    Application TRK 3.0.9
    Symbian S60 3rd Edition FP1 SDK

Problem:
    For the past two weeks I have been developing an application using the Symbian S60 3rd Edition FP1 SDK. During that time, I successfully ran and debugged my work using the emulator included with the SDK.

Today, I attempted to run a debug GCCE build of my code on an actual phone only to discover that attaching Carbide to the device causes the device to reset. What's more, sometimes the act of starting the TRK App on the device itself will cause the device to reset. And when I say 'reset', I mean that the device suddenly displays a white screen with 'NOKIA' in blue and then enters an indeterminate state where almost nothing works properly, thus necessitating that the user (that would be me) reset the device again.

Steps:
    1) Attach the USB cable
    2) On the device, Select 'PC Suite' as the connection type - At this point, I'd like to note that an older TRK document stated that this ongoing connection would interfere w/ the TRK connection. However, I discovered that w/o this connection the TRK App on the device would itself fail to connect ("Failed to open debug trace port. Error Code: -21").
    3) On the device, Launch the TRK App (USB connection, made attempts using the same and differing COM port on both sides) - here, roughly 25% to 30% of the time, the phone would reset itself.
    4) Attempt to debug from Carbide. I've been using a 'Symbian OS Application TRK' configuration for my debug attempts.

At this point, Carbide begins to work (I assume building the binary, establishing a connection, etc.), the phone resets and Carbide presents me with this error "Target request failed: TRKProtocolPlugin : Can't connect to TRK (TRK may not be running on the phone or the selected and connected com ports are mismatched.)." I have noticed that the progress percentage displayed in the bottom right of the Carbide GUI always reaches 78% when the device resets - I have no idea if that is relevant.

I did use the Carbide 'New Connection' wizard to install the TRK App. The wizard claims that the 3.0.9 build is on the device and that it is the latest build.

I would appreciate any help anyone could give me on this one.

EDIT:
    As an additional note, the Carbide GUI 'Progress' pane displays the text "Launching in backend... DON'T CANCEL!!!" at the point at which the phone resets.
    Last edited by fxtoltec; 2009-06-09 at 12:54. Reason: Added additional information

Re: Unable to initiate debugging on an N82 device

I am still unable to debug on the N82 device. I was forced to create a logging object in lieu of actual debugging. Needless to say, this does not provide the same level of diagnostic information as actual debugging.

The issue is present for applications installed from self-signed SIS files and from DevCert signed SIS files.

I would really appreciate a response.

The same issue manifests with a Nokia 6220 Classic.

Has there been any progress on this issue?

I would appreciate a response indicating, at least, that someone from Nokia is aware of this issue.

Nokia Developer Moderator

There's a useful link in my signature, see if it helps you. Also, consider updating your Carbide.c++, you don't have the latest version and that might be part of your problem. Try this.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Thank you for your response.

The videos didn't show me anything new, unfortunately. I'll download the latest version of Carbide.c++ and give that a try, however, I'm not convinced that it will fix the issue. Most of the time simply launching App TRK on the phone causes the phone to lock or reset. This would be before I've attempted to connect Carbide.c++.

So, you have the latest N82 firmware version and the latest App TRK client (v 3.0.9) but it is not stable enough to initiate a connection? That is strange. I wonder why we don't see more such complaints about this ... I will try to see if I can reproduce the issue, see what I can learn about this. What is the firmware version on your device?
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Angry Re: Unable to initiate debugging on an N82 device

Well, I now know what the problem was. The phone I've been using to test apparently is OS version 3.1.0 whereas I was installing the AppTRK that was listed as for OS version 3.0.0.

I feel somewhat silly for not trying a different AppTRK sooner. On the other hand, I am astounded by the fact that the AppTRK for OS version 3.0.0 explodes an OS version 3.1.0 phone.

As a note, I was not able to find the specific OS version of an N82 phone in the phone itself nor online. Nor did I find mention of the possibility of a version-related explosion in any AppTRK related documentation.

So, for better or worse, this problem is solved...

Quote Originally Posted by fxtoltec View Post
    As a note, I was not able to find the specific OS version of an N82 phone in the phone itself nor online. Nor did I find mention of the possibility of a version-related explosion in any AppTRK related documentation.
    The info you seek is at http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices, a must know resource for software developers
    -- Lucian

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    The info you seek is at http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices, a must know resource for software developers
    The page for the N82 from that resource is http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/N82. That page does not contain the information that is relevant to my problem. It states that the OS version is "Symbian OS v9.2" and that the developer platform is "S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 1". At this point, I have drawn the conclusion that "S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 1" is equivalent to the AppTRK version "S60, 3.1.0". However, my point remains: I cannot find a place where this necessary information is documented.