Discussion Board

problem with epoc

I have s60 third edition feature pack 1 sdk, Carbide C++v2 and active perl 5.6.1 build 635 installed on my pc.

Now the problem is that the example applications run fine...i.e. if i click on helloworldbasic.exe it opens the emulator and shows the app
    but when i type epoc in cmd It gives the error: Failed to initialize emulator....NoSuch File or Directory....Line 120 Epoc.pl

Re: problem with epoc

Quote Originally Posted by agrim View Post
    I have s60 third edition feature pack 1 sdk, Carbide C++v2 and active perl 5.6.1 build 635 installed on my pc.

Now the problem is that the example applications run fine...i.e. if i click on helloworldbasic.exe it opens the emulator and shows the app
    but when i type epoc in cmd It gives the error: Failed to initialize emulator....NoSuch File or Directory....Line 120 Epoc.pl
    i am using the same SDK, Carbide and Perl version. I tried to run epoc from cmd and it's working perfectly.

Nokia Developer Moderator

The 120th line of epoc.pl can really write that:
    Quote Originally Posted by epoc32\tools\epoc.pl
    exec("\"" . $emu . "\"") || die "Failed to execute the emulator \"$emu\": $!";
    Note that the die clause actually prints what this line attempted to execute, so check that "...".

i didnt get that....what exactly should i do to make it work....need more help plz

You can try starting C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\release\winscw\udeb\epoc.exe directly. That should work.
    When you are typing "epoc" in some command prompt, first a series of utilites are starting to run, which select the SDK you currently use (because you can have multiple SDK-s installed on the same PC, and the emulator is always called epoc.exe), and tries to start that one. In your case it fails somehow.
    If you want to find out what it tries, then you should re-visit the error message "Failed to initialize emulator....No such file or directory".

Yes Its working manually...but still not from the prompt

Hers the exact error message:

Failed to execute the emulator "C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1_2\epoc32\release\winscw\udeb\epoc.exe": No such file or directory at C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1_2\epoc32\tools\epoc.pl line 120.

Anybody knows whats wrong?

Have you installed that SDK or have you copied/restored it from somewhere (a backup or something like that)?
    Where is it installed exactly?
    The background story is that the SDK-s are incrementing a counter in the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Nokia\S60_3rd_FP1\Instances for the particular case of S60 3rd FP1), that is why the _2 appear in the C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1_2\epoc32..., and the variant is also stored in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symbian\devices.xml" and "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symbian\installed2.xml". Those are the files where "cmd" "epoc" tries to get the path. Actually you can update those files to point to an existing location, and epoc will start working - probably.

actually i have installed the sdk a second time after uninstalling it the first time....that is why there's a "_2" .
    So since in the error the path is correct i dont think the path its searching for is wrong.
    Correct me if i m wrong??

So the referred file, "C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1_2\epoc32\release\winscw\udeb\epoc.exe", does it exist?

yes it does

Quote Originally Posted by agrim View Post
    yes it does
    Little strange. But check if your path is pointing correctly to the tools. For example I have C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Symbian\Tools in the path. Just something which you could check on to see if that works.