Discussion Board

Super Contributor

Assisted GPS and Network based positioning

Hi,
    I have a working application on Integrated GPS. I am located in India.Now i want to use AGPS and Network based positioning.
    I have the following questions:-

1. In AGPS if the user has reception from 2 satellites then the third positioning data is taken from the Receiver attached to the cell tower.This makes First Fix also faster.But the network operator should be providing this service.Is this right??Does the calculation happen in the cell device like in Integrated GPS or does AGPS require a location server?

2. In network based positioning,position is calculated using the CellID. The cell ID and other information is sent to a location server which calculates the position and sends to the mobile device.Is that correct?Are the neighbouring cellIDs also passed which is equivalent to triangulation or different network operators do it differently?what is the difference between triangulation and this.

3.In India are there any network operators providing support for the above methods...

Nokia Champions i have been trying to get accurate information on this to make some technical decisions..Please help...

Super Contributor

Re: Assisted GPS and Network based positioning

Can anyone throw some light on this please..It is very urgent

Nokia Developer Champion

The A-GPS functionality talks to a Nokia A-GPS server. A-GPS is only supplemental (the 'A' stands for 'Assisted') to an actual GPS receiver (internal to the device, or an external [Bluetooth] GPS receiver). A-GPS is nnot a replacement for an actual GPS receiver.

True network based positioning does require the network operator (carrier) to support location based services. Most don't. Some that do, charge separately for it, or only allow it for their own services/use and not indepdendent service/application developers.

Super Contributor

Thanks Petrib.
    I understand the fact that AGPS is supplemental to pure GPS.
    I am looking for a confirmation that my understanding of the working of AGPS(point 1) and Network based(point 2) is correct.
    Also currently the LBS API automatically picks up the most optimum positioning method if i have selected all.Is it possible to prioritize in my application.I think it is not possible,but looking for a confirmation here also.

Regards
    Biju

Nokia Developer Champion

1: A-GPS in Nokia devices requires a connection to a network service (server), which receives data from the phone and returns the result of the calculations/estimate by the server.

A description of how A-GPS works:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-GPS

Descriptions of how network based methods work in general and with links to detailed descriptions:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Location-based_service

Super Contributor

Thanks for the links.
    Does this mean that A-GPS does not require any support from network operators??All it needs is the connection to A-GPS Nokia server.Will the LBS API automatically pass the cell ID and other info that might be needed by the Nokia server?

Nokia Developer Champion

All the Nokia A-GPS needs from the operator is a data connection to Nokia's A-GPS server.

When you use network based positioning services (not A-GPS), then you need the network to support that service.

Super Contributor

Since AGPS is supplemental i am assuming that it also requires Integrated GPS.
    In my phones positioning methods , i select Integrated GPS and AGPS.In positioning server i have Nokia's address.I tested two scenarios:-

1. In Positioning server,i set the 'Always Ask' option.My data connection is working fine and tested.Now i enabled on AGPS in my N78 and tried the positioning option in GPS DATA under tools->Connectivity.Even after 15 minutes of waiting it could not find the location co ordinates and neither was i prompted to use the Internet Access point nor to use the Nokia positioning server.

2.Now keeping the above settings intact i also checked the Integrated Server option.Now after 5 minutes i get the co-ordinates(which is the usual Time to First Fix when not using AGPS) but still no prompt for Access Point or Positioning server.

Am i doing it right?? or is the LBS API always choosing Integrated GPS above AGPS in my case??Why?

Super Contributor

Someone please respond to my AGPS query.
    Also i followed the link http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ed_positioning ,and enabled only network based in Positioning methods and Nokia server URL in the server option.
    Now when i try Tools->Connectivity->GPS data
    First i get an alert 'Searching for GPS devices'
    Then i get an alert 'Enable a Satellite positioning method first'.This contradicts the link.
    CAn anyone tell what is happening with my A-GPS and Network Based.

Regards
    Biju
    Last edited by chandran.biju007; 2009-06-12 at 11:24.