Discussion Board

Can someone please explain version system ?

Hi:

I'm lost.

Version 1.4.4 was the first version I used. Then I upgraded to 1.4.5. As I see, these are officially signed version and are downloadable from sourceforge, just as recomended in the guide for first time users.

Now I see a 1.9.5 version available that is downloaded from another site, that uses ensymble in a different way, that has an installation package, etc.

What's the diffence ???

I've came accross this new version (had not checked the forum since a few weeks ago) since my boss decided we should now port out app to the 5800 and use full touch support (or at least the best available). I see that's only available in 1.9.5, am I correct?

Thanks.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Can someone please explain version system ?

Quote Originally Posted by carlosl View Post
    Hi:
    Version 1.4.4 was the first version I used. Then I upgraded to 1.4.5. As I see, these are officially signed version and are downloadable from sourceforge, just as recomended in the guide for first time users.
    PyS60 1.4.x are the old and the stable version for Python for S60 which are hosted at sourceforge.

Now I see a 1.9.5 version available that is downloaded from another site, that uses ensymble in a different way, that has an installation package, etc.
    PyS60 1.9.x are the experimental releases which have aim of releasing final PyS60 2.0 which will be totally touch UI supported with more functionality.

I've came accross this new version (had not checked the forum since a few weeks ago) since my boss decided we should now port out app to the 5800 and use full touch support (or at least the best available). I see that's only available in 1.9.5, am I correct?
    Thanks.
    ya you are correct the new versions are only compatible with the S60 5th edition devices.

Hope its helpful to you

Enjoy Pythoning

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by gaba88 View Post
    ya you are correct the new versions are only compatible with the S60 5th edition devices.
    No they're not. They also work on 3rd Edition.

Actually it's available since 1.9.3, but it's usually recommended to use the latest version.

Thanks Bogdan and Gaba.

So far I've directly downloaded the sis for Python and for the shell from www.symbian-freak.com. I also downloaded and installed the exe distribution from maemo. I have a few more questions:

I have an old 2.4 Python version on my system and I'm using ensymble_python2.4-0.27.py for packing for 3rd ed. I'll now use the 5800 which is 5th ed. Can I use 0.27 to make my sis for 5th ed in the same way it was for 3rd Ed? (I'm not using the SDK).

2. Is the PythonScriptShell_1.9.5_unsigned_devcert.sis the unsigned version I should sign for all capabilities or I'm ok with PythonScriptShell_1.9.5_high_capas.sis (if enough for my app)? Also, in version 1.4.5 the unsigned file name would end with "unsigned_testrange". Why "unsigned_devcert" now?

From the release notes:
    - Added an option to package the application sis as bycode or source code.
    - Default heapsize for PyS60 applications is increased to 100k,4M from 4k,1M
    I guess I need to update to Python 2.5 and ensymble0.28 to use those. Is that correct?

As always, thanks for your help.

Super Contributor

I have an old 2.4 Python version on my system and I'm using ensymble_python2.4-0.27.py for packing for 3rd ed. I'll now use the 5800 which is 5th ed. Can I use 0.27 to make my sis for 5th ed in the same way it was for 3rd Ed? (I'm not using the SDK).
    There is a better option: on Windows, if you install the file PythonForS60_1.9.5_Setup.exe from garage.maemo.org you will find that under Start->All Programs->PythonForS60 1.9.5 there is an application called PyS60 Application Packager. It's basically a GUI version of Ensymble that allows you to package your scripts. So no need to use Ensymble which, if I remember correctly, only works for PyS60 upto 1.4.5.

2. Is the PythonScriptShell_1.9.5_unsigned_devcert.sis the unsigned version I should sign for all capabilities or I'm ok with PythonScriptShell_1.9.5_high_capas.sis (if enough for my app)? Also, in version 1.4.5 the unsigned file name would end with "unsigned_testrange". Why "unsigned_devcert" now?
    If your script performs actions that require special capabilities than you should use the unsigned_devcert version, signed with all capabilities. If not, the standard one should be fine. "unsigned_testrange" and "unsigned_devcert" are pretty much the same thing. If you're interested, you can find info about capabilities here.

From the release notes:
    - Added an option to package the application sis as bycode or source code.
    - Default heapsize for PyS60 applications is increased to 100k,4M from 4k,1M
    I guess I need to update to Python 2.5 and ensymble0.28 to use those. Is that correct?
    Use the Application Packager I described at question #1.

Quote Originally Posted by bogdan.galiceanu View Post
    There is a better option: on Windows, if you install the file PythonForS60_1.9.5_Setup.exe from garage.maemo.org you will find that under Start->All Programs->PythonForS60 1.9.5 there is an application called PyS60 Application Packager. It's basically a GUI version of Ensymble that allows you to package your scripts. So no need to use Ensymble which, if I remember correctly, only works for PyS60 upto 1.4.5.
    My PyS60 Application Packager it's not working, probably because I have Python 2.4. I guess I'll need to upgrade to Python 2.5 then. I believe the GUI version still calls the command line version, both on the same directory of the instalation.

Nokia Developer Champion

My PyS60 Application Packager it's not working, probably because I have Python 2.4. I guess I'll need to upgrade to Python 2.5 then. I believe the GUI version still calls the command line version, both on the same directory of the instalation.
    ya you need to have Python 2.5 which will make the application packager working.

Enjoy Pythoning

Super Contributor

Smile Re: Can someone please explain version system ?

Quote Originally Posted by bogdan.galiceanu View Post
    If your script performs actions that require special capabilities than you should use the unsigned_devcert version, signed with all capabilities.
    This is no longer the case, since there's now the new officially signed high capability scriptshell package available. No Open Signed hassle needed!