Discussion Board

Question [split] Nokia 5800 GPS - time to first fix

Before buying my Nokia 5800 Xpressmusic I had contacted the Nokia Customer Care to inquire whether I can switch the AGPS and any other GPS which would use the Network to get the data as it is chargeable for me. I also asked them if I can use the Phone on its own GPS without any assistance from the Network.

I was informed that I needed to switch off the AGPS and the Network GPS from the phone. This left me only with 2 other items in Positioning Methods i.e. Bluetooth GPS (for which I have no Bluetooth GPS data receiver) and Integrated GPS.

I now realise once I switch off the AGPS and the Network GPS the phone simply cannot connect to any satellite by itself to get the data. Thus the phone does not have built in GPS data receiver which connects directly to the satellite like other GPS devices.

Anyone having any information to the contrary is requested to kindly help to start the phones own GPS data gathering system, without any Network assistance.

Thanks

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Nokia 5800 GPS

It can connect, it just takes good amount of time. The Netowrk assistance will speed up the positioning a lot, thus you should really consider using them.

Quote Originally Posted by cool7jr View Post
    Before buying my Nokia 5800 Xpressmusic I had contacted the Nokia Customer Care to inquire whether I can switch the AGPS and any other GPS which would use the Network to get the data as it is chargeable for me. I also asked them if I can use the Phone on its own GPS without any assistance from the Network.

I was informed that I needed to switch off the AGPS and the Network GPS from the phone. This left me only with 2 other items in Positioning Methods i.e. Bluetooth GPS (for which I have no Bluetooth GPS data receiver) and Integrated GPS.

I now realise once I switch off the AGPS and the Network GPS the phone simply cannot connect to any satellite by itself to get the data. Thus the phone does not have built in GPS data receiver which connects directly to the satellite like other GPS devices.

Anyone having any information to the contrary is requested to kindly help to start the phones own GPS data gathering system, without any Network assistance.

Thanks
    Like Jukka suggested it does connect, just that it takes time. Also remember it might depend on if you are indoors/outdoors and coudy conditions etc.

But anyway, its best to discuss this issue in end-users forum where you might get good suggestions from peers. That destination would be : http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    It can connect, it just takes good amount of time. The Netowrk assistance will speed up the positioning a lot, thus you should really consider using them.
    Dear Neil,

Thanks for the info, however I did try connecting it in sunny and clear weather when only the Integrated GPS (because the Network GPS and AGPS would take data from the mobile service provider who would in turn charge me a lot) feature was enabled but it did not connect for a very long time, will try once again. Thanks again

cool7jr

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    Dear symbianyucca,

Thanks for the info, however I did try connecting it in sunny and clear weather when only the Integrated GPS (because the Network GPS and AGPS would take data from the mobile service provider who would in turn charge me a lot) feature was enabled but it did not connect for a very long time, will try once again. Thanks again

cool7jr

Super Contributor

Re: Nokia 5800 and "Expired certificate" error

Typically it takes between 3 and 5 minutes to get a cold lock in a wide open space.
    Whilst typically it takes ~5 seconds with AGPS.

Don't try it in buildings as their structure blocks the signals
    Don't try it in built up areas as you need line of sight with the satellites
    Don't put it in your pocket.
    On the N95 the antenna was under the keypad so its best to hold it up high.

You can go to the location app under Applications | Location | Gps Data and select "Satellite Status" from the Options menu.
    This will show the list of available satellites where you are.
    You can also use position to see more info about where you are.

Note: This does not imply it has found a position, it just implies that those are satellites it can use to calculate your position.
    It still needs the telemetry data from the satellites to work out your position which is where the long delay comes in.
    Download Symbian OS now! [url]http://developer.symbian.org[/url]

Re: Nokia 5800 and "Expired certificate" error

you clould also observe that the data sent there is not too much, and it would speed up the process a lot. But if you insist on not using them, then you have to wait, and find good locations for the satelites..

Re: [split] Nokia 5800 GPS - time to first fix

Jukka is right, you should consider adding a data plan to your subscription and free yourself from the worries about using 5800's core features.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite