Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PyS60 with Nokia S60 SDK

Hi All,
    What is your opinion to deliver PyS60 runtime along with Nokia S60 SDK? Will it be really useful?

My thought is, If PyS60 is delivered as part of SDK , Developer need to manually install it also it will reach more developers.

Pls Share your thoughts.

Regards,
    Bakkiaraj
    Nokia India

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: PyS60 with Nokia S60 SDK

Quote Originally Posted by sam_bakki View Post
    Hi All,
    What is your opinion to deliver PyS60 runtime along with Nokia S60 SDK? Will it be really useful?

My thought is, If PyS60 is delivered as part of SDK , Developer need to manually install it also it will reach more developers.

Pls Share your thoughts.

Regards,
    Bakkiaraj
    Nokia India
    hello bakkiaraj

its certainly a good idea to deliver PyS60 runtime with sdk and it will be really useful.

But as we know that PyS60 has lots of updates then there should be some sort of mechanism to make a automatic update otherwise the case remains same if we apply the mannual patchs.

Hope you got my point.

Moreover if PyS60 comes with the sdk the i hope that some day the runtime will come preinstalled in all s60 devices.

Regards,
    Gaba88

Hi Gaba88,
    Yes automatic update for PyS60 in S60 SDK is good point. So when ever PyS60 is realeased, developer can update it with a single click.

Regards,
    Bakkiaraj
    Nokia India

Nokia Developer Moderator

Hi All,

Pls Share your thoughts.

Regards,
    Bakkiaraj
    Nokia India
    I thought it was already available somewhere for previous versions.

http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._One_SDKs.html

Supported runtimes

The all-in-one S60 SDKs support development of applications for the following runtimes:

* Symbian C++.
    * Open C/C++.
    * Java™ technology.
    * Web Runtime (WRT).
    * Python (using the Python for S60 SDK plug-in).
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Hi Pankaj,
    No. N97 SDK (or any Nokia S60 SDK) currently does not include Python S60 run time by default. It is mentioned already that , PyS60 is avilable as a plugin, developer need to download from meamo garage manually and install it.

The S60 SDK package does not include PyS60, that is the reason I am collecting input from PyS60 so we can include PyS60 to the S60 SDK in future.

Regards,
    Bakkiaraj M
    Nokia India

Regular Contributor

Hi Pankaj,
    No. N97 SDK (or any Nokia S60 SDK) currently does not include Python S60 run time by default. It is mentioned already that , PyS60 is avilable as a plugin, developer need to download from meamo garage manually and install it.

The S60 SDK package does not include PyS60, that is the reason I am collecting input from PyS60 so we can include PyS60 to the S60 SDK in future.

Regards,
    Bakkiaraj M
    Nokia India
    I think the all-in-one SDK has it, have you checked the link given by Croozeus? Its not pointing to N97 SDK but all-in-one SDK
    --NirpSis

http://sites.google.com/site/nirpsis/
    http://nirpsis.blogspot.com/

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by nirpsis View Post
    I think the all-in-one SDK has it, have you checked the link given by Croozeus? Its not pointing to N97 SDK but all-in-one SDK
    hello nirpsis

AFAIK the all in one sdk doesnt include the Python Runtime by default we need to install the Plug in externally do correct me if i am wrong.

Enjoy Pythoning
    Gaba88

hello nirpsis,

All in one SDK does not include PyS60. You need to download PyS60 - SDK pkg manually and install (extract) on top of installed SDK.

I can give some more details abt all in one SDK. Earlier, we use to create Java only SDK, C++ only SDK and now we have stopped those SDKs and produce only "All in one" (Java+ C++) SDK. PyS60 was relatively new run time.

What do you think to have PyS60 as part of default Nokia SDK and I am also thinking of including easy update tool (A tool to update PyS60 automatically).

Regrads,
    Bakkiaraj
    Nokia India

Super Contributor

What do you think to have PyS60 as part of default Nokia SDK and I am also thinking of including easy update tool (A tool to update PyS60 automatically).

Regrads,
    Bakkiaraj
    Nokia India
    Hello Bakkiaraj,

I am positive everyone in this forum would absolutely love to have PyS60 as part of official Nokia SDK. No question about that!

However since the response has been a bit slow, the question must be: who are you, what do you do, how can make this proposed thing happen, what kind of help would you need?

Cheers,

--jouni

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by JOM View Post
    However since the response has been a bit slow, the question must be: who are you, what do you do, how can make this proposed thing happen, what kind of help would you need?
    hello Jouni

You just fetched out the words from my mouth.

Moreover i like to ask how serious is this thread is it really going to happen.

Enjoy Pythoning
    Gaba88
    Last edited by gaba88; 2009-06-15 at 05:32.

Hi Gab88,
    Right question.

Who am I ? - I am the part of SDK team in Nokia.

What I do? - I produce Nokia SDK.

How am I going to make this happen? - That is the reason I have started this thread. Me too PyS60 Fan, to add PyS60 as part of Nokia SDK , I need to show the community (developer) interest to management. So your replies are input for me to push PyS60 with SDK.

Regards,
    Bakkiaraj M
    Nokia India
    Regards,
    Bakkiaraj
    Nokia India

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi Gab88,
    Right question.

Who am I ? - I am the part of SDK team in Nokia.

What I do? - I produce Nokia SDK.

How am I going to make this happen? - That is the reason I have started this thread. Me too PyS60 Fan, to add PyS60 as part of Nokia SDK , I need to show the community (developer) interest to management. So your replies are input for me to push PyS60 with SDK.

Regards,
    Bakkiaraj M
    Nokia India
    hello bakkiaraj

thanks for the answer.

Ya you are the most appropriate person for that i guess and i hope that whole of the developer community will be with you for sure.

Thanks
    Gaba88

Super Contributor

Regards,
    Bakkiaraj M
    Nokia India
    Excellent!

THis is a chance we're been dreaming of, let's try to make it happen! One step towards the ultimate goal of getting python runtime shipped inside a real device

At least Gaba88 and me (JOM) would love to see this SDK thing happen! We are Forum Nokia Champions, which means we are very enthusiastic and devoted PyS60 developers == just the people who would be using the PyS60 in SDK. Since we already install each and every version, to develop software. I believe Gargi has also arranged some PyS60 events at university earlier. Having PyS60 as part of standard SDK would make arranging similar future events much easier. No need for special setup and verification.

There are also more Forum Nokia Champions here: Croozeus and Bodgan, say something ALso Rafael, Jussi Ylänen and Arkadiusz Wahlig come into my mind.. There's more, I know, sorry for lack of sleep. ALso a group of future Champions, or at least very active users!

There's one book released by Jurgen Scheible, most likely he would support this idea, too, once he would hear about it. ALso I believe PyS60 is one the more active areas in Forum Nokia discussion boards as well as in wiki. Croozeus might know better about these thigns.

What else can I say to support the idea? What else can I do?

Cheers,

--jouni who has released 23 PyS60 freeware apps, written more and planning to go commercial if that would ever be possible.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Interesting discussion!

It could be very useful to those who are just beginning to develop on PyS60 - they wouldn't have to go through the installation hassles. And being a die hard PyS60 fan I had love if this was done. However, I believe that this step could only be put into practise once we have a stable 2.0.0 release - don't forget that PyS60 gets updated frequently, which means more S60 SDK releases?

Anyway, I would rather love if the PyS60 SDK installer was made little smart too. A self-extracting exe (for windows users) which could detect S60 SDKs installed on the system, check the compatibility, existence of previously installed versions, warnings, etc - should not be difficult and could ease the installation process.

Another thing, I would like the PyS60 runtime preinstalled on S60 devices (and I would rate it as a higher priority than on SDK)- may be after the stable release, with an update feature too.

As of now its getting better and better and what else can a PyS60 fan wish for
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Quote Originally Posted by croozeus View Post
    Interesting discussion!
    Another thing, I would like the PyS60 runtime preinstalled on S60 devices (and I would rate it as a higher priority than on SDK)- may be after the stable release, with an update feature too.
    I agree absolutely. And also, allow PyS60 apps into the Ovi store.