Discussion Board

Python code to record N95 8GB acceleration sensor data to file

Hi,

I'm a new python user and have been having many problems writing a simple program in Python to record data from the acceleration sensor in a Nokia N95 8GB to file. I've psent the last week looking all over the site and haven't found anything that works.

Any help would be appreciated.

KF

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Python code to record N95 8GB acceleration sensor data to file

Hi,

Well you can use the axyz extension (only in PyS60 1.4.5 and earlier) to get the accelerometer values. Writing to files is the same as in standard Python (documentation is here).

If that doesn't help, please tell us what went wrong and what you have already tried.

Hi,

I've been using the sensor module rather than the axyz module as I haven't been able to get this to install without error messages. I've tried the signed and unsigned versions with no luck.

Nokia Developer Moderator

What are the error messages?

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by kiwifrog View Post
    Hi,

I've been using the sensor module rather than the axyz module as I haven't been able to get this to install without error messages. I've tried the signed and unsigned versions with no luck.
    hello kiwifrog

if you want to use the sensor module then there is a excellent tutorial by fellow champion jouni you can have a look at that here.

Enjoy Pythoning
    Gaba88

Quote Originally Posted by bogdan.galiceanu View Post
    What are the error messages?
    When I first tried to install the unsigned axyz module I got an error message related to the certificate so I couldn't complete the installation. I then installed the unsigned version of axyz. The installation was OK, but when I call the axyz module in python I get an import error permission denied (error -46).

Quote Originally Posted by gaba88 View Post

if you want to use the sensor module then there is a excellent tutorial by fellow champion jouni you can have a look at that here.
    Thanks. I might be better off using the sensor module that works, rather than the axyz module.

Nokia Developer Champion

When I first tried to install the unsigned axyz module I got an error message related to the certificate so I couldn't complete the installation. I then installed the unsigned version of axyz. The installation was OK, but when I call the axyz module in python I get an import error permission denied (error -46).
    hello kiwifrog

i guess you need to sign the unsign version at the symbian signed to get that working and have you signed your scriptshell with all capabilities at the symbian signed.

Regards
    gaba88

Super Contributor

Thanks. I might be better off using the sensor module that works, rather than the axyz module.
    Agree totally.

Besides somehow I recall that the aXYZ module works only with N95 early firmware devices? Doing upgrade enables Sensor API, but disables aXYZ hack. Anyway, Sensor API is available in several devices, so whatever you develop will automatically have possibility to run in more devices.

Cheers,

--jouni