Discussion Board

Exclamation Big Issues and no reply from Ovi Support: Item no longer available on Ovi Store

Hello,

We have this problem for more than a week now, and there has been no reaction from Support , neither to emails or comments on the dev account.
    I post here in hope someone will offer any sort of help.

There are two major problems I will address here:

1. For quite a few days, our Java game "Joyland Bounce" has gone missing from the Ovi Store webpage. It was there at launch, everything was fine for about a week, then it went away along with half the applications on the store ?!
    The item can not be found any longer on Ovi Store (should have been Games/Arcade)
    A search for this item, by name, will return no results if the user is not logged in.
    If the user is logged in, the search by name will return the item but when trying to access it, the dreaded " Sorry, this item is no longer available. " message is displayed.
    The correct, supported phone type is selected.
    What is going on?

2. Soon after the store opened we realized that the Stream Icon and Promotional Images we submitted were not of proper quality so we decided to update them. Unlocked the content item / replaced the images with improved versions / locked the content item again, at which point it went again under review.
    I personally made it clear at the time, by comment for the content item, that the builds were not changed! However, it seems that the QA people re-tested the same builds anyway. The same old builds that they had previously approved and which were clearly not changed.
    During this review an error showed up on the Nokia 5300 ( "Application error" on launch). We are sure this was a mistake on the tester's part because:

a) They had previously approved the exact same build.
    b) There is at least one case on the support forum of a developer complaining about the same issue of a non-existent error brought up by QA on the 5300.
    c) The build works for us with no error and always has worked.

We have anyway removed the 5300 from the supported devices list, just to speed up the review.
    Once more, I personally explained everything above in a comment for the content item.
    It has been a long while and nothing else happened, the status of the item is still "pending". What is going on?

I will not even go into other problems of Ovi at this time, these two are the most pressing issues for us.
    Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thank You,
    Bogdan Suteu

Re: Big Issues and no reply from Ovi Support: Item no longer available on Ovi Store

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTomcat View Post
    Hello,

1. For quite a few days, our Java game "Joyland Bounce" has gone missing from the Ovi Store webpage. It was there at launch, everything was fine for about a week, then it went away along with half the applications on the store ?!
    The item can not be found any longer on Ovi Store (should have been Games/Arcade)
    A search for this item, by name, will return no results if the user is not logged in.
    If the user is logged in, the search by name will return the item but when trying to access it, the dreaded " Sorry, this item is no longer available. " message is displayed.
    The correct, supported phone type is selected.
    What is going on?
    Welcome to the club of "Frustrated Publishers of Disappearing Items" (free membership)

My app disappeared 2 weeks ago and is now officially considered "missing in action".
    More seriously, if you take a quick look at the following links you'll see that many publishers are suffering from variants of this problem:

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=169572
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=168844
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=169412
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=169360
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=169068
    http://www.ovigaming.com/news/item/9...orry_this_.php

As far as I know, nobody was able to get much info from Nokia about this problem, but who knows, maybe you'll be more successful. If you are, please share the info with the rest of us...

Good luck,
    Ori

Re: Big Issues and no reply from Ovi Support: Item no longer available on Ovi Store

Nokia please provide the following:

-Acknowledge this is a problem. We can all see games/apps/content disappearing, we know it's a problem. It would help if you admitted you could see the problem too so that we know you understand the publishers' situation.

-Say in specific technical terms what you are doing to investigate/fix the problem. If publishers know exactly how you're working on it, they will be a lot more patient and willing to wait for a fix.

-Give us regular progress reports on how the repairs are going.

If you do these things people will be a lot happier about publishing on Ovi Store, and end users will be a lot happier about buying from it.

If you do these things, I'm sure a lot of publishers will also be willing to help Nokia in fixing the problems, with co-operation wherever possible. It is in both Nokia's and the publishers' financial interests to get this fixed as soon as possible.

If you don't do these things, publishers and endusers will lose confidence and won't use Ovi Store any more.

You could publish these things on the Ovi Blog or on this forum, and various media outlets would be able to relay the reports to a wider audience too. The best way to handle a problem is to communicate with all the partners and customers affected by the problem. The worst way is to not communicate.
    Last edited by themetesting; 2009-06-12 at 15:20.

Post Re: Big Issues and no reply from Ovi Support: Item no longer available on Ovi Store

Hi everyone,

Here is an update on the situation:

1. The game is back up on the Ovi Store, but only those builds not affected by Issue 2 (see first post). We have three builds under this content item (S40, S60 and S60 wide-screen); the S40 build is the one affected by issue 2. Thankfully the Icon and promo images have been updated!
    I also noticed that most of the items gone missing are now available again. I can't tell for sure whether these are all of them that were originally on the store.

2. This issue remains exactly as in the original post but it also seems that being in status "QA pending" following a meta-data update now prevents the respective build from showing up on the Store at all.( see first post as to why this is a mistake on QA's part)

I will keep this thread up-to-date, as it might help other developers as well.

Thumbs up Re: Big Issues and no reply from Ovi Support: Item no longer available on Ovi Store

Hi, here is another update:

Things have improved.

Our S40 build that was still under "QA pending" has now been approved. However, QA has removed some of the devices from the supported devices list for the build. Apparently the certificate we are using is incompatible with certain S40 devices ( we use a VeriSign certificate). It was a very smart and good move on QA's part to remove these devices from the list themselves rather then reject the build altogether. We will now look closely at the issue and see if we can resubmit a new item for the remaining devices.

It now appears that the build was initially rejected due to this certificate problem, although the tester's comment at the time did not reflect this. Following the approval of the build we now did receive a reply explaining the problem. There was still no reply on the meta-data/ build update distinction.

The email we have received after the approval states that the item will be published one business week after the approval.